Marshall Advice Needed ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Alchemist XP, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

I've owned a lot of amps over the last 20 years but never a Marshall. I've got an itch to get a Marshall now and would love some advice on which model to get. Having seen many times where threads like this go, I'd like to give it some boundaries, if that's OK.
    • 50 Watts Max ... not less than 20 watts, ideally a head but a combo is possible
    • Effects loop essential
    • EL-34's preferred ... definitely NOT EL-84's
    • Not looking for a Marshall-like brand like Friedman, Metroplex or any others. I'm talking Marshall only
    • Ideally a model that's currently available new or within 10 years used ... Don't want to hunt down a 20 year old amp with all the risks that entails
    • Want something that sounds great out of the box ... no mods needed
    • Not looking for a heavy metal sound ... I've got a Boogie to cover that terriroty
    • Looking for sounds from AC/DC, early VH, Zep, Jeff Beck
    • Hopefully has a decent clean sound, but more interested in classic 70's overdrive
    • Two channel preferred but not absolutely critical.
    • Master Volume a must ... Don't need a "bedroom" amp, but want it to sound good at reasonable, non ear shattering volumes
    • I'm not ultra picky about nailing the ultra vintage whatever EXACTLY ... Just looking for that current edition Marshall that most closely nails THAT classic Marshall Sound, but not the higher gain metal tones.
    Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    dpgreek and indeedido like this.
  2. TwangAddict

TwangAddict Member

I would say JTM45 RI, but gotta crank it up a little to get the sweet gains.. . Give it a try, anyways. I love mine, its THE Marshall for me

3. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

Given your requirements, I would suggest a Vintage Modern or DSL series amp.

The Vintage Modern is a "two channel" amp, but not really useful in the traditional clean/gain channel switching setup. It's kind of a pick a channel and leave it type amp, as the channels share controls and there is quite a big volume jump going to the higher gain channel. But, both channels sound good. It is KT66 driven, and is all about 60's through the 80's rock tones, and can be dialed up for a great clean sound.

The DSL I'm not as big a fan of tonally, the second distortion channel is not that great. But, the cleans are decent and there is a "crunch" mode on the first channel that does the 70's thing fairly well. Bonamassa has done a few tours with these amps on said crunch channel, if that's any inclination to the type of sound they're capable of.

I don't have any first hand experience with the reissue, only played originals, but for the JCM800 reissue Marshall added an FX loop (2203X is the model #). If it's anything like an original, it should work just fine.

These amps seem to tick most of your boxes. As someone who seems to aim for similar tones, I'm a Vintage Modern owner, and can definitely recommend that amp. If you'd be open to other brands. I think you would find many more options that would work better for you (Metropolous Metro/Superplex immediately comes to mind)

4. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I was in the same boat somewhat a couple of years ago.

I would go Ceriatone 2204 w/PPIMV and a loop with onboard buffer. It hits all of your marks.

I have mine and love it. I got that and a 1957 '68 Super Lead w/Super Bass mods at the same time. The 2204 gets more of my day to day play.

JK1965, hpharley90 and Alchemist XP like this.
  5. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

Find an old JCM800 or JMP.

6. buddy7168

buddy7168 Silver Supporting Member

Seems like the JCM800 reissue, DSL or JVM fit your description. For me I’d go with the JCM800 reissue but it’s probably the least flexible volume wise of those three.

Moby Dick and Alchemist XP like this.
  7. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

But a $45 SD-1 in front of that 800 gives you plenty of flexibility.

BADHAK and Alchemist XP like this.
  8. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

Does the JCM800 only come in a 100 watt format?

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Marshall 20W Jubilee Reissue.

p19978 and walshb like this.
  10. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I have 5 different Marshall (or clones thereof) - JTM45, 1986 50w Bass, JCM800 2204, JCM900 Dual Reverb and a 2061 Lead and Bass. Based on your desires, I'd recommend to JCM800; either a 2203 or 2204. My 2204 has a loop as well. Close second would be a JTM45 with a PPIMV. Of course, my choices are dated.

BADHAK and Alchemist XP like this.
  11. AR-305

AR-305 Member

DSL 40c with Creamback. The unbroken in stock 70/80 will make you hit it with a baseball bat.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  12. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I wouldn’t discount the JVM205H either. I have the 410H and I find it very versatile, decent master volume, and very quiet. A lot of people feel it’s noisy, but I only find that true if you are cranking the gain knob beyond noon. Frankly, noon is the sweet spot for all channels and modes.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  13. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Do you want combo or head?

JCM 900's or JCM800's Best bang for your buck for that classic sound. Ive used Marshalls for over 30 years.

I'm using for live gigs lately a jcm900 2x12 the dual channel dual reverb, 6L6 tube version, yes it has effects loop, I got it CHEAP!!!.... And I love it!

Gemini2, 70 Mach 1 and Alchemist XP like this.
  14. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

check out a mini silver jubilee

walshb, bbaug14 and Alchemist XP like this.
  15. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

There are 50 watt models as well, such as the 2204.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  16. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

Get you a DSL50 and run it on the green channel with crunch on.

Rawk.

WholeLottaGlove and Alchemist XP like this.
  17. jamest364

jamest364 Member

i'm liking a clone I have of the 2061x with power scaling

Mattbedrock and Alchemist XP like this.
  18. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Those amps desperately need noise gate pedals. Marshall improved them with the satriani model.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  19. mix2much

mix2much Member

I would say used dsl50, Jvm 205, or jubilee. Jcm800s are hard to find with an effects loop included unless you go with a modded one or a new reissue but those are 100 watts.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  20. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

The new Mini Silver Jubilee is what you’re looking for. It’s a current production amp.

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/mini-jubilee-series/2525h-mini-jubilee/

Buckfeverky, walshb and Alchemist XP like this.