1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall Advice Needed ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Alchemist XP, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

This TC-50 looks juicy I may purchase one. Not sure it has the classic Marshall grind/crunch buried in there somewhere but talk about everything and the kitchen sink. Really interested to try it with EL34's vs 6L6 yet another option.

2. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

I'm tempted with the TC-50 too as I love Mesa's products, understand them, know how to get them to sound good and have had astonishing great luck with their reliability and overall quality. They are the absolute definition of a great American musics products company, with great products AND customer service.

Dale likes this.
  3. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

ACDC, Zep, VH, Beck etc, you need an old Marshall or a good clone. 1959/87 or 2203/4. Stuff like loops and controlling volume can be added later but if you haven't got the basic tone to start with you're just wasting time and money.

A Mesa or even a Jube is not the place to find those tones.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  4. Alchemist XP

Question is, how much of the "basic tone" is generated by an ear shattering wattage level, driving power tubes and speaker cabs into the sweet spot? My own experience with Attenuators and re-amp'rs and all those cool gizmos that allow you to drive power tubes and drop the power to the speakers ... starts to get into the zone of, at least for me, modeling because there is a HUGE difference between a speaker cab being driven and one barely breaking a sweat. There is absolutely nothing that sounds like a cranked twin ... and that includes a cranked twin attenuated with the best possible setup into a low volume cab. In some ways, the helix's, Kempers and Fractals of the world have really cracked the code on the low volume "sameness" better than all the rest. Again, just my opinion ... You want the real vintage tones ... and I mean AUTHENTIC, and you gotta bring some serious volume into the equation, which I'm all for! Love loud amps but I love tube amps that sound good at not so loud volumes too. Tube amps for bedroom talking kinda volumes I don't really understand.

manimal likes this.
  5. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Attenuators been there, lame. My Torpedo Live shipped today that's going to be interesting, cranked dust burning tube amp into a cabinet simulator with all kind of cab and mic options pretty cool stuff. I have the Marshall tones covered so if the TC-50 doesn't do that well no biggie.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

You don't need to be playing at ear bleeding volumes to get an authentic vintage Marshall tone. My 2203's give it up from average drummer volumes......into my 68 straight cab with the original '20' watt Greenbacks and you'll never hear a better ACDC Powerage tone at real world gig volumes. The 2061 I had would produce it at the same volumes...... you could do a Zep tribute with either of those amps and NOBODY would question your gear choice.

I've had the same experience with the 1959/87 and JTM 45 circuits.....add a PPIMV or an attenuator, play at band volumes and you're as close as a mere mortal will get.

Don't overthink it. The whole idea that you can buy a 20 watt MV Mesa or 3rd Power, or mini Jube reissue, and that it's going to do classic Marshall better than the amps I've mentioned is total bollocks.

rhinocaster likes this.
  7. manimal

manimal Member

Having played many different JMPs, 59’s, 87’s, DSL, 2203/2204, yjm, etc...the 2525 will get whatever Marshall tone you want in a practical less than drums volume, and rip loud enough with any drummer. It’s not going to be “better”...but in a practical scenario with as little compromise as possible...it’s perfect.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  8. 67Firebird

67Firebird Member

I think it has been recommended already, but I will put my vote in for the Vintage Modern as well. I can get very convincing ACDC, Zep, early VH etc tones from it at most volumes. It has KT66 tubes which the early JTM45 had. It is not a 2 channel amp, but responds great to the volume knob on your guitar and to picking attack. It has a great master volume that allows you to get some great tones, even at tv volume. It doesn't sound exactly the same when that quiet, but it's pretty darn close. I even had a Rivera RockCrusher attenuator so I could crank the amp, but still play quiet. In my opinion, in sounded better just using the master volume to tame it. At tv volumes, you lose some top end and low end, but you can get that back by running an eq pedal in the front or loop.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

9. les_paul

les_paul Member

I'd suggest the old JCM2000 DSL 50 first. There is one flaw with this pick, however: they have known issues. This is the key, though. The issues are known and likely to have been corrected at this point. In specific IIRC the rectifier diode was prone to blowing. Regardless, if you live anywhere close to a reputable tech I'd HIGHLY recommend this amp for the current used price.

Similarly, even though you said you didn't want old amps I'd really look at an old 2205. If you're unfamiliar it's a two channel amp out of the JCM800 series. Again, if you live close to a reputable tech, I'd highly recommend it.

Older amps aren't so bad if they've been properly maintained, just like new amps. For some of the Marshall models being discussed in this thread you can actually save money by buying an older one and having it looked over. Reverb shows the top end for the 2205 to be $1150 and the JCM2000 DSL 50 at $650. Just curious as to why you're so opposed to older amps?

10. Alchemist XP

Thanks for the advice on the Vintage Modern ... Although it's not EL 34's, it does seem to fit what I'm looking for very close. I could snag one of those locally for <$700 ... Seems like a lot of people agree it nails the vintage tones too. I'm now definitely narrowed down to the Mini Jubilee head, and the Vintage Modern as my first choice with the DSL's not far behind. Many Thanks!

11. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Two notes lives is great

12. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Well, lower wattage amps have appeared on more recordings than you realize. The big blast of a stack was created for live play in an era where a guitarist generally did not run through the PA. Good micing will get amazing tones from a small tube amp. I have recorded guys who insist on a big amp because they like the feeling of pushing lots of air. What we capture, however, is a limited frequency range. With two notes lives, they an crank the power tubes and we can avoid the ear crushing volumes of a twin or jcm 800.

13. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Fyi, play a vintage modern and mini jub before buying. They both are cool but have definite quirks. The VM has a tubby low end. The jub does too.

14. Alchemist XP

Thanks for the advice ... appreciate it! I typically put an EQ pedal in the loop of my amps. Is the tubbiness you mention something that even an EQ pedal can't improve on?

15. 67Firebird

67Firebird Member

It can have a lot of bass, but in my opinion it can be dialed out. The pre-amp controls are a bit different. There is Body and Detail. Think of these like the normal and bright channels on an old plexi. It's usually best to run the Detail higher than the Body by at least a few notches. I run mine in the Low Dynamic range with the Detail cranked and Body at 12 o'clock. My treble and mid controls are maxed, bass at about 9 o'clock and presence to taste. Also, this amp sounds best through greenback speakers. I have the combo with the same greenbacks that the Hendrix stack had and it sounds great.

16. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I have the 100 watt 2555x Silver Jubilee. It has many master volumes (3 technically)......plus a half power switch. You can get great tone at low volume with that amp (although I play mine almost wide open).

walshb likes this.
  17. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

I think it will help the vintage modern. The mini jub, when pushed hard is going to crumble no matter what you do. With a mic and PA it would be unnecessary to drive jub like that, of course.

18. Alchemist XP

I'm assuming the mini jube crumbling is coming from the power tube setup, right? I mean not the preamp overdrive/breakup.

19. manimal

manimal Member

You won’t have that problem with the head especially with the EQ. I have played the head and 2x12 and it’s fantastic. For space/portability and overall economy not having a cab already...I tried the combo too and still got that huge grin! Bought it as soon as I could. Here’s the thing...guitars and their pickups make a huge difference. My SSS Am Standard strat has endless parameters with the 2525 tone stack. Of course you could dial it in brighter than you’d ever need it, or pretty dark as well. You can peg the bass knob if you wanted to practically with that guitar and not be too “tubby”. Now if I’m to plug in my Ibanez RG Prestige ash body with Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and it’s like 5 times the low end!!! Bass goes back to 12 o’clock. And if you’re doing the SD-1 or tubescreamer tight/boost/filter trick for tight metal use...”problem” solved. My Les Paul Custom I had actually had no tubbyness problems believe it or not.
    It’s not just the circuit, or power amp...guitar, speakers and pedals are part of the equation just as equally.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  20. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

Speaking of ear crushing volumes who even enjoys that in a home or studio setting? Is that enjoyable, not to me. I want my 1969 Marshall cranked to 8 tone wise, but at pleasant to listen to home stereo volume.

walshb, DMVGuitar and manimal like this.