Marshall amp decision??

Denny

Greetings from VT. I'm wanting to get a new Marshall Head and am struggling on how to go. I'm looking at an Origin 20 watt, DSL 20 watt, or the Studio Vintage models. I know the new Marshalls aren't the "Old" Marshalls. Being in VT - there are no stores near me that I can try these. Going to use a 2x12 cabinet. And why are the Studio Series heads almost 4 times the price of the other two. I suspect inferior parts and manufacturing techniques in the lower price ones. I appreciate any of your comments and suggestions. Thanks Peace
Denny

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
The Studio Vintage sounds awesome, but you're comparing (2) master vol Marshalls to a non Master model.
The Studio Classic is more comparable to the Origin & DSL because it has a Master Vol.
Either way, the Studio Classic or Studio Vintage sound way better than the Origin & DSL IMHO.

guitarman3001

Thank you - makes sense. Anyone else want to chime in?

What Braciola said.

I'll add one thing - while the Studio Vintage seems to be the most popular one, it needs to be turned up loud, very loud, before you get any kind of distortion from it. The Studio Classic is a mini JCM800 and has a gain knob, so you can get distortion at lower volumes, although it will still sound better when you turn it up.

I was not impressed with the Origin and I've owned the DSL20 and was also not impressed with it. If I had to pick one for myself I'd go with the Studio Classic. I don't have one because I need a real 2-channel amp with separate clean and dirt channels. Out of the ones you mentioned, the DSL is the only one that does that but I wasn't happy with it.

For a Marshall tone with separate clean and dirt channels, check out the Friedman Runt 20. It's the same price as the SV and SC.

Denny

Thanks. I don't need loud, LOUD!! Been using Boogies, and Vox and a few Marshalls but need to get rid of most and just get "an amp" LOL Not gigging anymore. I need the versitility of 2 channels and reverb in order play the different styles I like and since I'm downsizing, I need to compromise.

V-man

Maybe it is a “trend-reversal trend” from the last 10 + years of thinking, but technology has brought way better options to making 100W amps apartment friendly. I bring this up because every Marshall guy I know has not liked the 20Ws starting with the Jubilee due to the amp (understandably) having no balls at all. That and even a 1W Marshall (not 10W...1W) is too loud opened up for that environment. In short, if you live w unforgiving neighbors, attenuation or jam sessions on their grocery runs are your only options.

At this point in tech, I say go 50-100W and invest in IR/attenuation. I am so glad I did and my 100Ws are in play at 3am weeknights as a result. If you are on a Budget, A used JCM 900/DSL and attenuation will likely match what you are spending now.

If you want one of those now for whatever reason, but need balls later, you can run it through the FX loop of a larger amp, which becomes the power amp, so at least you have that option with your choices, but best to start “right” if you can swing it.

Of the 3 (no other options) I would get the Studio Vintage. Origin was well-received (second choice) bui I would rather get the one that was made to be a plexi. And yep, it’ll be loud.

guitarman3001

Thanks. I don't need loud, LOUD!! Been using Boogies, and Vox and a few Marshalls but need to get rid of most and just get "an amp" LOL Not gigging anymore. I need the versitility of 2 channels and reverb in order play the different styles I like and since I'm downsizing, I need to compromise.

Ok, so if you need 2 channels, the DSL is the only one you mentioned that has two channels. The problem I found is that because both channels share the same EQ, getting both channels to sound their best with the same EQ settings is very hard. I found it impossible.

The Friedman Runt is much better for this. It sounds great at low volumes, the dirt channel has its own EQ, the clean channel has a 3-way tone switch which is voiced perfectly, and it's an infinitely better amp than the DSL20.

That said, some people love the DSL20 so you may like it. I did not.

BTW, the Runt doesn't have reverb. Neither do the SV, SC, or Origin. Out of the ones you mentioned the DSL is the only one that has reverb, but be warned, the DSL's reverb is utter garbage. IMO, you're better off with a Runt 20 and getting a cheap reverb pedal to put in the effects loop.

Coolidge

Double Platinum Member
JVM and/or 50 watt JCM900 model 2500...OR...wait for it...Marshall hand wired Astoria Custom :drool

Marshall SC20H (JCM800) Studio gut shot

index.php

Last edited:

Denny

I have a Mesa Mini Rectifier which I love, and it's got BALLS GALORE. I've got an AC30, love it, Mesa F30 combo - it's ok, I just miss the Marshall sound.

ken374

I have a Mesa Mini Rectifier which I love, and it's got BALLS GALORE. I've got an AC30, love it, Mesa F30 combo - it's ok, I just miss the Marshall sound.
My mini mesa didnt cut it for classic rock tones good metal and voxy. I ended up getting a dsl and now the studio series which are great!

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member
Greetings from VT. I'm wanting to get a new Marshall Head and am struggling on how to go. I'm looking at an Origin 20 watt, DSL 20 watt, or the Studio Vintage models. I know the new Marshalls aren't the "Old" Marshalls. Being in VT - there are no stores near me that I can try these. Going to use a 2x12 cabinet. And why are the Studio Series heads almost 4 times the price of the other two. I suspect inferior parts and manufacturing techniques in the lower price ones. I appreciate any of your comments and suggestions. Thanks Peace
Denny

The SV20H and SC20H are made in England.
The DSL20CR is made in Vietnam, and pretty sure the Origins are as well.

That would explain the price difference.

The day after I picked up my SV20H I put my DSL20CR up for sale. It was a great amp for me for 2 years, and very versatile. The quality was there and I could play anything from 1968 through 2000, especially with 2 or 3 pedals, but now that I know I'm sticking with it longer than I have in the past I decided I needed the real deal. If I would have started playing with the SV I probably wouldn't have appreciated the sensitivity, tone versatility, and harmonics anyway so I was happy with my path. I haven't played an Origin but if you're on a budget and want a very versatile quality product, the DSL20CR is a great choice.

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member

Also, have you considered the Silver Jubilee Mini? There's a combo here locally on sale for $1375. I damn near bought it. Very versatile, Made in England, great speaker in it, and lots of channel options with their push/pull whiz bang knobs and what not.

Denny
Price difference between Origin/DSL & Studio Vintage/Studio Classic is because the Origin/DSL are made in Asia where the SV/SC are made in England. I haven't gotten into the guts, but I imagine the UK made one has more expensive internal components. External components (knobs/switches) are probably similar to make them look comparable.

The Studio Vintage/Studio Classic are shrunk down modern takes on classic Marshalls (plexi/JCM800 respectively). Pretty much universal praise for those amps. If you want a Plexi with a master, you can just run a volume box in the FX loop.

People love the DSL. It was a popular amp in the early 2000's then in the 2010's Marshall decided to start making it in Asia instead of the UK after some revisions to modernize it. Great amp for the price. Pretty much universal praise for those from people too.

Origin is an odd pony. People thought they were getting an asian plexi, but it turned out that's not the case. People's main complaint seems to be that there isn't much gain on tap, and in general the amp sounds very bland. However, they've seem to become a favorite for the pedalboard guys because the neutral sound lends itself very well to pedals.

TLDR:
If you want classic 60s/70s/80s marshall look at the SV or SC
If you want more modern marshall flavor look at the DSL
If you want a pedal platform, look at the Origin.

MissoulaGriz

I’d look at Ceriatone for Marshall needs at this point. Their take on the 20 watt lead/bass sounds killer and it’s less than the Origin 50 combo.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Is this for gigging or giggles? What kind of volume restraints? What Marshall tones are you after?

Since you’re in New England and not the UK (NE boy myself, MA), the really good Marshall stuff is pretty expensive. If you’re looking for a channel switcher with MV, the DSL20CR’s aren’t bad. But if you really want old school 4 holer tone, I’d look elsewhere.

It sounds like you’re not going to be able to try before you buy anyway so you might as well open up your options to Marshalls that don’t say Marshall on them. Unless that’s important to you. If you’re looking for vintage M tones, I’d check out some 18w TMB builds (1974x). There’s always a few around and usually pretty easy to find in head form. Or a 20w 2061x.

There’s a number of various 20w Plexi type amps. Friedman would be one of the most well known/adored and he makes a couple of em, but there are plenty of lesser known builders that do 20w Marshalls for cheaper.

If you could find a real good deal on a SV20, that would be sweet but might be difficult. The biggest reason they cost so much more is because they’re made in the UK while the other two are made in Asia.

Im personally not a big fan of the Origin amps. They’re not horrible and have their fans. I just don’t find the dirty tones all that appealing. I felt the cleans were pretty weak too, unless the boost was engaged. I was excited when they came out. Tried to like it but never pulled the trigger. Realized it was well worth spending a little more for a legit JTM45 circuit. In that price range, I’d much rather get a Bassbreaker 15.

The thing is, the Marshall range is very vast. If you let us know what kind of tones you’re after, we can really help point you in the right direction. Also, NMV Marshalls are loud AF. Maybe you’re out in the sticks and a little volume doesn’t bother you? If not, you’ll have to choose between MV’s or some form of attenuation method.

If the SV20 is an option in your budget, you have a plethora of option besides the 3 you mentioned. A bunch of stuff from Ceriatone is in play and a number of small boutique builders.

Last edited:

Top Bottom