Marshall Amp song Challenge!

the pearl

Silver Supporting Member
With all the classic marshall amps one can chose from JTM JCM plexi 800 blues breaker -
I am having a hard time lining them all up for what I would prefer most for what I want to hear...

Challenge --- make a list of songs that provide the quintessential tone for each amp - a song that is undeniably that particular amp- this will help me and hopefully others make the best decision for what is right for them -- thanks !!!

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Might as well just ask for songs that are Marshall. The problem is that you can have wildly varying sounds from essentially the same amp:

Gnarlly

Was it a 2203?
Maybe a JMP, but thought was SLP maybe?
Back in Black was definitely a Master Volume model (most likely the 2203). Run a master volume Marshall through G12-65s, and that's the Back in Black sound.

And that brings up a point to add: each of these Marshall amps can sound very different depending on what speakers are used. Greenbacks, H30's, Blackbacks, 65's, 75's, Vintage 30's, etc. all have a unique sound to them, and the difference is greater IMO than the difference between a 1959 and a 2203.

JK1965

Back in Black was definitely a Master Volume model (most likely the 2203). Run a master volume Marshall through G12-65s, and that's the Back in Black sound.

And that brings up a point to add: each of these Marshall amps can sound very different depending on what speakers are used. Greenbacks, H30's, Blackbacks, 65's, 75's, Vintage 30's, etc. all have a unique sound to them, and the difference is greater IMO than the difference between a 1959 and a 2203.
Yes BIB was a JMP 2203. They never used the 800's and most bands did not either as they weren't highly thought of at the time. The 70's models were considered the good ones. Angus also used the Schaffer Vega wireless system which provided a boost and made his tone a little hotter.

the pearl

Silver Supporting Member
yeah see this is awesome -- if you know what was used for the particular albums having a list here is great you can go and hear that quinticencial tone

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
Wicker Man by Iron Maiden - Marshall JMP-1 Preamp

Actually, you can pretty much take any live performance by Dave Murray and Janick Gers post 2000 and get the JMP-1 in its best form.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
Wicker Man by Iron Maiden - Marshall JMP-1 Preamp

Actually, you can pretty much take any live performance by Dave Murray and Janick Gers post 2000 and get the JMP-1 in its best form.
What are they using for a power amp?

bobwl

I believe Neil Giraldo used the old disliked JMP amps, 2104 2x12 combos I think. I think he used it on everything from Crimes of Passion after. If I remember correctly there was a story about Marshall discontinuing the amp, and him wanting to get a bunch before they did so and Marshall basically just giving him like 6 of them because they were selling so poorly.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
I believe Neil Giraldo used the old disliked JMP amps, 2104 2x12 combos I think. I think he used it on everything from Crimes of Passion after. If I remember correctly there was a story about Marshall discontinuing the amp, and him wanting to get a bunch before they did so and Marshall basically just giving him like 6 of them because they were selling so poorly.
He mentions it here. Listen to the 12:50 mark to hear what he uses now.

bobwl

He mentions it here. Listen to the 12:50 mark to hear what he uses now.
Interesting. I have an old early EL34 JCM900 4500 head in the garage, I might need to break it out, get it cleaned up, and mess around with it again.

cap'n'crunch

Another point to add is different guitars/pickups. A Strat and a LP sound different into the same amp/speaker rig.

jpage

Was it a 2203?
Maybe a JMP, but thought was SLP maybe?
Yeah I had always thought they were strictly the JMP100s since they apparently have dozens of them but I'm pretty sure BiB was actually 2203s.

Whatever it was, it is awesome. Gonne rock out to that album right now. And then TSRTS lol!

Trending Topics