Marshall and Vox in one amp?

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
What amps out there can do both types of sounds? I know that the Gabriel Voxer does this...anything else? I love the EF86 sound, so ideally something that uses that.

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
The 65 Amps London was designed around the 18 watt Marshall (Bluesbreaker) and the VOX AC15 circuits.
The Marshall side has a single 12AX7 in the preamp and the VOX side has a single EF86.
Great amp.

Peppy

Carr Hammerhead...uses both amps (vintage VOX and vintage Marshall) in its description of one of its unique controls.

mcalldp

+1 on the Tophats. The King Royal or Club Royal are very Voxy, Brian puts a touch of Marshall and Vox in all if his amps, read the forums on the Tophat site for more info. Great group of guys there that will be happy to point you in the right direction regarding model but for the sound you're after you shouldn't buy before checking out Tophat.

Pictures worth a thousand Words

DSCN2170.jpg

The Main Cab I Use for the Vox Tones is a TopHat Custom Cab with two Celestion Blues

DSCN2060_1.jpg

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
Groovey Records
Listening to Freeform Guitar-Chicago Transit Authority

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
TopHat Supreme 16 or....

The newer circuit (EZ81 recto) TopHat Club Royales. Of the six Club Royales I have owned, my 2006 model - loaded with a Heritage G12H30 and Blue - was the perfect mix of Vox and Marshall. Depending on how you eq'd the amp you could go from Vox chime and glass to a chest thumping Marshall grind.

The newest Club Royale MKII is supposed to do that at an even higher level. With the newest Heyboer transformer set in the CR, Brian Gerhard is actually goosing 20-22 watts out of the amp (at least as he explained it to me).

By the way, the CR has nore low-end thump than the Supreme 16. The CR gets its low-end from the power section; the S16 from the pre-amp section. Thus, more thump from the CR.

farlowhigh

+10 for Top Hat as this seems exactly their strength...that sort of mix of Marshall and Vox all in a way that gives the amps their own distinct voices. The Vanderbilt 33 is great for both Marshall and Voxy sounds (the Supreme 16 and the Vanderbilt have essentially 2 channels with an EF86 in one channel (certainly helps for the Voxy sounds)...

dk123123dk

I have a Ceriatone 18 watt TMB Ef86. One side is based on a Vox/Matchless and the other is based on a plexi. I wouldn't call it an exact vox sound, but it has the chime. The TMB channel is nice as well.

dk

Trending Topics

Top Bottom