Marshall AS50D acoustic amp: pictures inside & seeking more info!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Prince, May 7, 2015.

1. Prince

Prince Member

Hey y'all!

First time posting in this sub-forum. I have had this Marshall AS50D since 2009 when I first transitioned from acoustic->acoustic-electric->electric. I have no intent of selling the amp cause a) it's pretty :), b) resale would suck, c) I rather enjoy it's flexibility for the price!

I have used this amp for both acoustic-electric into channel 1, electric into channel 2, & iPod/computer/tv/etc., into channel 2. Prior to getting a tube amp, I used a Tech21 Liverpool into ch.2 for my electric tones, and lately I've been running my iPad w/Bias FX into ch.2 for monitoring my amp/effects modeling tones when I don't want to play through headphones.

I have scoured the internet and there seems to be VERY little info on the technical specifics of this amp. I was wondering if some of y'all experts could offer me any and all cool info on this lil bugger! I contacted both Marshall and Celestion to try and find out what the speakers are and Celestion said they can't share that "secret information" with me...

ASAIK, acoustic amps sort of act as mini-PA systems, but I'd love to know what the speakers actually are, what there frequency range/rating is, if they are in fact FRFR (since I primarily use it for modeling). It seems like the amp does a fairly good job in not coloring the tone too much, but it does tend to add a slight "warm" coloring, which seems to suggest to me that they aren't quite FRFR speakers.

-Any cool mods I could do?
    -any idea what the speakers are? Could I replace them with a single 12" and new tweeter?
    -whats the reverb/chorus chip in there? The reverb actually sounds pretty good, the chorus kind of sucks tho...

If anything, here are the pics on the guts for the "sake of science". Hopefully some of y'all can maybe figure out how this bugger ticks or if there is a way to make these into some sort of cool hybrid acoustic/FRFR system. I hope y'all enjoy and please let me know if y'all need any more detailed pictures.

Manual/schematic (with barely any info...): http://marshallamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/as50d-hbk1.pdf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Guts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Speakers:
    [​IMG]