Marshall Bluesbreaker 2x12 Combo

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I've been eyeing the reissue Marshall 2x12 Bluesbreaker combos. Looking to maybe grab one used for ~$2,000, but wondering if there are any other JTM45-inspired combo amps or clones of this ilk I should be looking at as well. Also, are the older 1990 or 2007 reissues worth checking out?

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Imho, the BBRI cost too much for what you get. I’ve wanted a Bluesbreaker for years and years. I finally made some moves to get one. But not the Marshall RI.

I ordered the chassis from Ceriatone, the cab from Mojotone and loaded it with a Celestion Greenback and a Scumback M75-PVC. Total cost about $1,300 (already had the 1 Greenback and tubes), and I get a hand wired amp, with PPIMV, loop and 1/2 power switch. The chassis hasn’t come in yet so I can’t comment yet on how it sounds but there is a lot of love here for Ceriatone. You can customize the build, those are the features I wanted.

Edit: Almost forgot, I spent $50 on an old “fat boy” 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier.

If I had a bigger budget, I would of got the chassis from Metro or Germino.

Last edited:

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Imho, the BBRI cost too much for what you get. I’ve wanted a Bluesbreaker for years and years. I finally made some moves to get one. But not the Marshall RI.

I ordered the chassis from Ceriatone, the cab from Mojotone and loaded it with a Celestion Greenback and a Scumback M23-PVC. Total cost about $1,300 (already had the 1 Greenback and tubes), and I get a hand wired amp, with PPIMV, loop and 1/2 power switch. The chassis hasn’t come in yet but so I can’t comment yet on how it sounds but there is a lot of love here for Ceriatone.
Cool. Thanks for the input. Does Ceriatone make combo amps as well? Or do they just make the heads?

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Cool. Thanks for the input. Does Ceriatone make combo amps as well? Or do they just make the heads?
They offer the combos too but it’s a little pricey to ship that weight from overseas. You can save some bucks by getting a domestic cab. Even if you get the combo from Ceriatone, it’s still cheaper than a used BBRI, iirc.

ShaunOsovs

I'm super curious on this too. Been eyeing bluesbreakers or a 1974x reissue. But the prices are pretty crazy and I can't help but feeling like most of that sticker price is for the name and look.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm super curious on this too. Been eyeing bluesbreakers or a 1974x reissue. But the prices are pretty crazy and I can't help but feeling like most of that sticker price is for the name and look.
No doubt that the name influences the price of the amp.

But let me reiterate- that 2 x 12 KT-66 JTM -45 platform (in whatever brand name) does so many things so very well- including a killer glassy clean, perfect edge of breakup, and more gain that I would ever need.

One of the best clean tones I'v ever heard in any clip:

JDandCoke

I've been eyeing the reissue Marshall 2x12 Bluesbreaker combos. Looking to maybe grab one used for ~$2,000, but wondering if there are any other JTM45-inspired combo amps or clones of this ilk I should be looking at as well. Also, are the older 1990 or 2007 reissues worth checking out?
Here in the UK it's hard to beat a legit marshall, they can be had cheap (cheaper than a DRRI for example), say £600.
In the states I hear that's not the case but thankfully you've got a bunch of awesome builders making their own versions like Germino, which is where I'd start.

drewl

I'm sure you could find one of the older reissues for a decent price.

The first ones had a thin cabinet, the later models the cab was thicker and can fit KT66's, the thin ones can't.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
No doubt that the name influences the price of the amp.

But let me reiterate- that 2 x 12 KT-66 JTM -45 platform (in whatever brand name) does so many things so very well- including a killer glassy clean, perfect edge of breakup, and more gain that I would ever need.

One of the best clean tones I'v ever heard in any clip:

Ahh my old amp! I miss that one. Sounds like I had the Gold in the Heritage 1-12 cab.

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Marshall JTM-45 RI mounted in a smaller 1x12 cab.
Cheaper and way lighter to carry.

Trending Topics