• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Marshall Bluesbreaker Reissue Tremolo Question

slegros

I never use the tremolo in my BBRI. The JTM45 is supposed to have a touch more gain than the BBRI(something I may like) as a result of not having the tremolo, in addition I hate the pulsing hum of the trem when not in use(still does it when turned all the way down). Does engaging the footswitch bypass the tremolo completely? Can the tremolo be disabled by removing the V4 12ax7?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JJman

Using the footswitch should turn off the pulsing of the tube. That does not "bypass" any signal. Removing that tube would definitely turn off the pulsing. Neither would increase gain. A "switched" intensity knob (mod) might do that, as sometimes done on Fenders with "roach" type trem. (Yours is not roach type.)

Are you using a footswitch? Does the trem work with no switch? If yes, the switch turns the trem off and you can use a "shorting jack" to keep it off without the need for a footswitch.

slegros

Not using a footswitch at the moment, but the jack seems to be 'reverse wired' in that the trem will shut off with an open jack, and not a shorted one, inserted into it. I.E. it shuts off when I insert a patch cable and activates when I connect the 2 sides of the patch cable. I might just buy a switchcraft jack and plug it in to shut it off.

Is it safe to run without the V4 12ax7?

Last edited:

JJman

Interesting that the jack behaves that way since the schematic doesn’t show it to be a switching type. (assuming this is the correct scheme.)

http://www.schematicheaven.com/marshallamps/bluesbreaker_reissue__45w_1962.pdf

Based on the schematic, I don’t see any risk in removing the trem tube. The only thing is that there would be a small increase in voltage on the PI and preamp tubes’ plates, but probably barely measurable. If you never use the trem, I would pull the tube. If you might use it, put the tube back in and do the shorted-plug thing.

It shouldn’t be causing noise when turned all the way down so there may be an issue. Perhaps some wiring needs to be moved around. But I suspect it’s mostly ribbon cables.

Under warranty?

Swarty

No ribbon cable in these. There is a substantial gain loss from the trem circuit. To recover the gain the trem lead needs to detached from the insertion point at the channel 2 mixer resistor (same holds true for other Marshall trem amps).

Trending Topics