marshall cab re tolex period correct.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MRscratch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Hi Guys. Does anyone like Germino or Metro re tolex old cabs? i have a 69 that has the original basket weave still intact, and the original g12h-30 55hz speakers.
    the cab has been srtipped and painted black. its ugly. i would like to re do it .
    any advice?
    i would ship this from the US and have it returned to the US .
    How much can i expect it to cost?

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Jim Seavall at Scumback USED to do it, not sure if he still does...

Maybe Stagecraft? Be worth an email (Goes by Reason here on the forums) Anthony's a good guy.

3. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

alright! thanks Mike! Hey Mike, did the old cabs have the real Greenish smooth levant like the heads do? My 69 plexi has that awesome greenish levant and ive heard that you cannot get this color anywhere! Im just not sure if the oldies had that as well as the heads.

4. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Do it yourself...you can order pretty much all the supplies from Mojotones for a fraction of the cost that you would pay for shipping alone on a cab. And they have the green levant you are taking about: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-brand-marshall-style/Marshall-Style-Green-Levant-Tolex-54-W.

It is really, really easy to do a re-tolexing. There are great tutorials that can be found by a simple google search. It really is so easy, I redid a vox cabinet recently and it turned out looking perfect, despite having never done anything like it before.

Edit: Looked back at some reciepts - my total bill including Tolex, Grill Cloth, Piping, a Staple Gun, Brushes, and the Contact Cement for a 212 cab was ~$85. Maybe add another 20-30 bucks for an extra yard of tolex if you're doing a 4x12.

Edit Part 2: If the cab is already stripped then the work would be super easy...peeling off the old tolex and sanding down the rough glue spots is the hardest part!

5. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Mojotone will re-tolex cabs too

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I concur with doing it yourself. It really is a pretty simple task.

7. big mike

SImple for some, anytime I try something like that it looks like 45 orangutans with epilepsy did it.

Vintage cab, I'd pay someone.

8. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

yeah, i saw a cab re done in that color and it looked off. I think that this levant is no longer available. Im just not sure if the cabs were the same color as the heads.

9. big mike

I think it's just 'aged' into that color.
    Never seen anything that looked 100% vintage.

Scumbag did a 74/75 4x12 for me in red with basket weave came out great.

10. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

That's why I do not allow myself to touch the innerds of my amps. :bonk

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

My cab guy can do it for you. I believe it's $250 labor plus tolex/piping, etc.

The newer Marshall levant comes in black. I have had it show up (3-4 years ago) that had the green tint, not lately.

The shipping alone is going to cost you $250-300 to So Cal. Real Marshall tolex (correct black levant) is around $20-22 per yard, you'll need 3 yards. Piping isn't cheap, figure another 18 feet of piping (both thin gold and white around the cloth) at $3 per foot. So that's roughly $115.

To retolex your cab is going to be pricey since you're not local. Is it worth $665-700 to you to do this (assuming you have a decent shipping box)?

If so, email me. If not, better to just play it as is.

12. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

the shipping sounds pricey, but whatever. Jim, im guessing i should yank the speakers out? i figure im might do this in april. will you're guy still be available?
    the cab is covered in paint. Should i strip this myself before hand or does it matter if it gets covered. also the handles are the metal ones, but have also been painted over. i guess i should just strip everything down before hand?

13. Scumback Speakers

If you can find shipping cheaper you let me know. I haven't. My last 4x12 cab that shipped to Northern California was $116, plus the packing/box, and that was two years ago.

You'll want to yank the speakers for sure. If your wiring harness is suspect we can get you one for $10, you'll have to solder it yourself. The handles will stay the same, not much I can do for them. You might look for some black crinkle finish paint to respray them, although it won't be the right finish, it will be better than letting them rust (or flat black).

If you can strip it, fine, if not the $250 includes that. The cab must be stripped to bare wood, my cab guy uses hide glue to put the tolex on. Typical turnaround time is about 4-6 weeks, and that's around new cab builds and his other clients.

Email me if you need more information. I've got a huge 60 speaker order to start packing for Wednesday, and the usual pile of shipping today as well, OK?

Thanks...and please don't PM me, I hate that little window!

14. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I dont think Mojotone offers authentic marshall tolex.. its some cheapish generic material. Simular but not exact.

But Mrscratch has a trainwreck so I dont think he cares about saving some benjamins

15. Scumback Speakers

The Mojotone tolex is not exact. Mrscratch may not have unlimited funds, either. He probably does care about saving some Benjamins. Most guitar players do.

16. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I always thought that color came with age as well... such an awesome color...

17. ZZ-383

ZZ-383 Member

I have a '73 (originally white) 1960A cab that was sprayed over with white paint to hide years of abuse and I would like to re-cover it so it looks correct again.

I replaced the grill cloth a while ago but would like to re-cover it to it's original state.

Question is: Is 3 yards enough to do a 4X12 slant cab, and how much gold string will I need?
    And where can I get "proper" white tolex?
    Thanks.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  18. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

yes i do. i do care about saving some Benjaminis! but im canadian! we save some Queen/loonie! LOL
    doesnt sound as cool.
    JIM one more thing ! does the grill cloth have to come off? its in pretty good shape. will it fall apart if it is removed to re tolex?

19. ZZ-383

ZZ-383 Member

If I recall (it's been years), the baffle comes right out with the grill cloth in tact.

20. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

ok! that sounds good. maybe i dont have to ship the baffle?