• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Marshall Cabinet questions

strat68

Hi,

I have a JTM45 "small box" head. I'm looking for a vintage style slant cab to compliment it. I already have a boutique type cab which I am using that can handle the power (1x12) from a builder that's not around anymore (last time I checked). It looks along the lines of an Avatar "bluesbreaker" style.

I'm looking for a slant cab 2x12 (that is at least 26" wide) or a 4x12. I am also not opposed to a sleeper marshall 4x12 deals to fix up, so I have a few questions:

- JCM 800 cabs, some of them look close to what I consider vintage style, grey or brown grille etc. Dark green levant.. Are these good wood construction?

- JCM 900 cabs, are they particle board? Tried some searching, but am unsure. (MGs are out, not interested).

- Any other sleeper cabs either by Marshall or boutique builders?

I am also considering an empty 2x12 boutique build along the lines of the marshall "CX" cab that goes with the 20 watt head. The original CX loaded is out of my price range.

I have the speakers to accomodate an empty cab.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

strat68

Thanks, that looks like a good place to start if I go the hand made empty cab route. Regarding fixing up and 80s or 90s cab, i've read that the wood construction has been the same since the 70s. I wish I could be more certain, the forum where I read that has lots of made up facts by it's readers. Not that it doesn't happen at times in every forum, but I choose to hang around where it happens less.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Skip the JCM900 cabs. Something changed...nto good.
JCM800 cabs are fine, but change the partical back panel for ply.

Even the 70's 4x12s had partical back panels.

Sam801

Nothing wrong with the 900 cabs. If it sounds good, it is good. Not sure what the difference is in build quality between them and the other 1960's like 800's. I've never thought Marshalls to be the best in build(little things like plastic handles, crap wheels.) But I'm not going to pretend like I can really hear a difference between a newer 1960 and an older one. Provided they have the same speakers.

I had a Marshall 2204S in a small head box. Looked really good with an old Mesa halfback cab. The 4x12's are small as far as 4x12's go. And the vertical halfback 2x12's are quite large as far as 2x12's go. Not very expensive. Very solid build quality. Mine had a panel to make it a half open back, or fully closed back. Awesome cabs.

908SSP

<mod edit. Don't spam your sale threads>.

Last edited by a moderator:

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
The build quality is different on the 900 series cabs, because they switched to so much MDF at critical points in the baffle and some support areas. They do NOT reasonate as well.

michael patrick

Silver Supporting Member
The TV cab is a good investment. I've had mine for almost 20 years now, still has the stock greenback speakers in it. I've played hundreds of shows with that cab...

Custom

Silver Supporting Member
Dion't know what you are looking to spend, but Mojo makes a 2 X 12 slant, just like the 2061CX. I bought one from Port City Amps who is apparently near the Mojo location and sells the stuff for less. Seems like I spent around $325 on it unloaded. It's a great cab!

strat68

Dion't know what you are looking to spend, but Mojo makes a 2 X 12 slant, just like the 2061CX. I bought one from Port City Amps who is apparently near the Mojo location and sells the stuff for less. Seems like I spent around $325 on it unloaded. It's a great cab!
Thanks, that one is near the top of the list, don't know yet if I want to make the jump to 4x12. Never experienced it, so I would like to try. I wish it was a little wider. Seems like it will be near exact at 26", but I bet the small box head is a llllittle wider.

I've come across this 4x12 used in my area for under $550. I think it's a JCM 800, but I can't really tell. Have a message pending with the seller. If anyone has one and knows what the name plate says on lower left, let me know, thanks...

Custom

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a Soultone 45me3 that's going to go on the Mojo 2 X 12. I think it will fit exactly, but I'll let you know. The Soultone comes in today. The 2 X 12 Marshall cab, which was copied by Mojo, was made for the small box head.

Custom

Silver Supporting Member
Got the Soultone head and it fits perfectly on the Mojo cab. I'm pretty sure the Soultone head is the same size as the JTM45 - 26" wide.

strat68

thanks for the info. they probably made it so it would fit well with the 20 watt "small-smallbox," which I think it was really made for, or the regular smallbox.

Trending Topics