Marshall Class 5 head in da house!

schwa

I've been wishing for this amp for some time now, and was able to get one from Sweetwater last week. I was set up for a notification from Sweetwater and ordered right away.

I've only had a chance to "drive it around the block" with the attenuator. As with the combo, it gets loud fast.

I plugged my LP Standard into it with some boosts, and used a 2061cx cab with Heritage 30W Greenbacks first time around. (at "loud TV" volume)

Some initial impressions:
It's definitely a Marshall. I have 2 other Marshalls (2061x and 2204S), and it definitely has a NMV Marshally character to it.
It has more gain than my 2061x, but still cleans up nicely with the guitar volume knob.
The 3 band EQ is useful and musical.
Takes boosts just like my other Marshalls. I like to dial in a gain something like AC/DC, turn down the guitar for cleans, and boost for higher gain sounds.

A couple initial downsides:
No candy from Sweetwater! What the heck? They shipped it in an unopened Marshall box, so I guess they couldn't slip any in.
It seems to lack some of the complexity that my other Marshalls have. I think that is at least partially due to the fact that it is single ended. I'm also running the stock tubes so far, and am running NOS in my other amps.
It's still too loud to sound great without bothering a downstairs neighbor. Even with the attenuator, it sounds good, but I think it will sound better if I let it breathe a little.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with this amp. I have 7 different cabs to try (1x12, 2x12, 4x10 with various speakers), and I have a feeling one or two are going to sound better than the others. I'm also going to do some tube swapping to see if there's anything to be gained there.

The Class 5 head doesn't make me want to get rid of my bigger (small) Marshalls, but it is a step closer to getting a great Marshall sound at home. (Not so much in an apartment, but in a single family home with an attenuator, it would be pretty workable).

Here's a crappy pic - (I didn't have time to set up for any pretty shots).

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
What are the dimensions of the cab btw? Looks great.

Can't wait to hear what speakers you find work best. Vintage tubes will help this baby.

mike shaw

"How much is it? "

Looks to be about $350 at Sweetwater but they are experiencing 'unusually long shipping delays". Wonder how long it'll be before the GC's, MF's etc. get theirs.

schwa

What are the dimensions of the cab btw? Looks great.

Can't wait to hear what speakers you find work best. Vintage tubes will help this baby.
The cab is about 25" square. I'm looking forward to trying it with a 4x10 cab tonight!

Sean French

Cool.
I've had a combo since new years and dig it.It's sitting right next to my JMP 2204.

I'm gonna get a C5 head as soon as they hit the used market.;)
BTW, when I recieve orders from Sweetwater I just give it to my daughter.

Trending Topics