Marshall Combo Getting Wobbly

alivegy

I bought an 85 Jcm800 4010 a couple of months ago. I have since shipped it across the country twice. On receiving it this time the structure of the combo seems to have weakened a bit. If I'm looking at the front of the amp I can rock it left and right a little bit and it creaks. It's hard to see what is going on with the tolex on the amp. Has anyone else had this happen before and is it fixable?

alivegy

I've been looking around for anyone that makes new cabinets for these combos in case that I need a new one. So far the only ones that I can find are either fender cabinets or bluesbreakers. Does anyone make reproduction empty 4010 cabinets?

DICKIE C

Sounds like it got dropped :puh

It should be fixable. It's probably a slight loosening of the joints, but I can't say for sure w/out more info. I'd take the chassis out, remove the back panel and look to see exactly where the movement is coming from. You may be able to fix it yourself.

alivegy

It seems like the joints where the sides mount to the bottom piece are coming loose and allowing some play. With the tolex on it is hard to see what is going on underneath, but that is what it seems like. I'm tempted just to glue a block of wood into the corners to stabilize it.

Is there a reason you have to ship the whole amp? Just send the chassis. I would get some titebond and force the glue into the corner then get some 2x2 and rip it diagonal to make triangles. Take about a 1/4" off the point that's going in the corner so it will seat down good. You could run some short screws into them too.

RRC

Trending Topics

Top Bottom