• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Marshall Crunch pedals

j_m_s

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Crunchbox, but its humming like mad. I run the gain at 3 o'clock (yeah that high) and it humms like total madness.

Are there any solutions to this or any alternative pedals to consider?

Thanks
James

JMarck

James-

Maybe try some sort of noise suppressor? I think that might be exactly what you need!

--Josh

VoodooBlues

That pedal tends to amplify a single coil guitars sixty cycle hum for some reason. I run my guitar into an ISP Decimator (noise gate) then into the crunchbox and that takes care of the hum.

j_m_s

I'm running with a Humbucker-ed strat and tele. haha.

Hmmm. Which ISP Decimator? Does that equate to zero hum?

ibzmav

Try a BSIAB2. This is the real deal marshall on steroids pedal, this will smoke your CB, I have had a CB before and I sold it, I find it lacking on mids. (even if my guitar & amp is already mid heavy)

VoodooBlues

I'm running with a Humbucker-ed strat and tele. haha.

Hmmm. Which ISP Decimator? Does that equate to zero hum?
I use the original Decimator. Little to no hum when you're not playing. The noise isn't so much coming from the pedal - At least in my case, it's actually mostly the guitar(s). So, reducing the hum from the guitar and then hitting the CB with your hum free guitar signal makes a huge difference. That said, anytime you're running really high gain, you're bound to be noisier than you'd care to be. I like the buffer in the Decimator as well. Helps push the signal through the rest of the pedals/cables. YMMV

Edit:

Well, just to make sure, I dug out my old CB and plugged it in front of the Decimator. I used my Gibson Les Paul (instead of my Strats). Using the humbuckers, I had a lot less hum than the Strats but there was still a noticeable amount. I put the threshold on the Decimator at about noon, turned on the CB (with gain at 3) and got zero hum. Maybe that will work for you.

Last edited:

VoodooBlues

Try a BSIAB2. This is the real deal marshall on steroids pedal, this will smoke your CB, I have had a CB before and I sold it, I find it lacking on mids. (even if my guitar & amp is already mid heavy)
Weird. I find the CB extremely mid heavy. I own a version 1 though. Also, there's a presence trim pot inside the version 2 which might make a big difference. :dunno

soulsonic

Maybe the cable is noisy? Without a well-screen cable, the noise problems can be well-exacerbated.

zachman

Try moving your power supply cable at a 90 degree angle to your audio cables AND move the power supply's transformer around and see if you notice a change in the noise level.

re: Marshall crunch pedals: I use a Marshall BluesbreakerII OD, and it works well in my rig.

ibzmav

Hmm. some stuff to check out. maybe ill get a BSIAB II kit. how high gain does it get?
Just as much as the crunch box. On the plus side, the bsiab2 cleans up better on the guitar volume.. compared to cb. It's very tube sounding, you'll love it. ;)

j_m_s

noted. Ibzmav, if im not wrong the Brownie is a BSIAB II. haha.

90 degrees to audio cables is almost impossible on my board. heh.

Im using a boss adaptor for my drives and its on the far side of my board.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Weird. I find the CB extremely mid heavy. I own a version 1 though. Also, there's a presence trim pot inside the version 2 which might make a big difference. :dunno
+1. The CB has a mid hump similar to the Tubescreamer. It has a JCM 800 80's metal vibe to my ears.

The Brownie has flat mids by comparison which actually keeps it from cutting through in a band situation. Make sure you get the contour trim pot option if you get one so you can dial in the mids.

Wampler makes several marshall style pedals. The Pinnacle is like a tricked out Brownie.

Another option is the Catalin bread dirty little secret.

Electric I

Got a bsiab2 & keep in mind it was voiced to run into a blackface-style pre/amp. Which is somewhat mid-scooped by nature, letting the mid-voiced bsiab2 blend accordingly.

j_m_s

Hmmm. The Catlinbread DLS is too low gain for me.

noted. I run into a roland cube 20x at home and a fender hot rod deluxe or line6 flextone at church.

Trending Topics