Marshall & Dr. Z out of phase with ABY Box -- HELP!

imguitardan

These two amps sound great. I'm using a Dr. Z Mazerati (AC30 type head) with a '73 Marshall Super Lead through a Morley ABY box and into the same open back 212 with the speakers separated (Vintage 30's). One amp to each 8 ohm speaker. Each amp sounds great in the A OR B mode but when I combine the two (A AND B) the bass drops out and it sounds anemic and weak. Is this fixable? Did I do something wrong?

BTW: I have both amps in the same electrical output but I put a gray ground lift on one of the amps so there's no ground loop noise. Any help would be appreciated.

doublee

It doesnt have a 'phase' button? If not, maybe putting a buffered box before the aby may help

boltino

These two amps sound great. I'm using a Dr. Z Mazerati (AC30 type head) with a '73 Marshall Super Lead through a Morley ABY box and into the same open back 212 with the speakers separated (Vintage 30's). One amp to each 8 ohm speaker. Each amp sounds great in the A OR B mode but when I combine the two (A AND B) the bass drops out and it sounds anemic and weak. Is this fixable? Did I do something wrong?

BTW: I have both amps in the same electrical output but I put a gray ground lift on one of the amps so there's no ground loop noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Radial makes a couple of ABYs with a phase switch on them. That should fix the problem.

You might be able to wire a speaker cable with a flipped phase to remedy this as well. (Not 100% positive if this is ok, it should be, but maybe someone else can chime in)

imguitardan

If the phase issue isn't the problem, will switching the leads on the speaker cable hurt anything? What if I use that cable with a different amp/setup...will that be OK?

imguitardan

Just to make sure...I'm switching one end of my speaker cable's negative and positive wires and leaving the other end normal?

dorianadams

Love that phase reverse swiitch on Matchless amps. Huge time saver for such a simple( and rare for some reason) feature.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom