Marshall DSL 100 or jcm 600?

dwolfggc

Ok, here's the deal. I have a Jcm 600 that I really like the tone of, it has a seperate eq per channel with the clean channel being a plexi vibe and the gain channel a jcm 800 vibe. Perfect for me, and I love it.
Problem is every three months or so an internal fuse blows and I have to unscrew the the amp from the head cab to replace it. Needless to say it's a less than ideal situation for a gigging amp.

I found a DSL 100 on cragslist for $450. I went and played it today and really liked it, but the shared EQ was a bit of a problem. Basically the clean channel was a little bright when the gain channel was were I wanted it, i was able to get exactly what I wanted by simply rolling the tone knob down a little though. The cab I played through was also loaded with g12-75s I believe, and from what I understand those are kind of a bright speaker. Or am I way off on that? I've also heard reliability horror stories about the DSLs. So would I be trading one set of problems for another?

So, what would you do?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
The brightness difference between the two channels can be fixed by clipping the C12 resistor (capacitor?).

I did it on my DSL50 and now both channels sound great with the shared EQ.
Mine is a backup to my JCM800. I've only used it at a couple of gigs and it's been reliable.
I had my Tech go thru it. He's not a fan of these but he checked all the known reliabilty issues and said mine is good to go.

I've heard more reliabilty issues with the JCM600 (as you are experiencing).

Try going here: http://www.marshallforum.com/
It's called the Marshall Forum but it should probably be named the DSL Forum. Big fans of the DSL there and TONS of mod info.

earthlydescent

I'd say DSL. However, the G12t75 speaker are pretty harsh with the DSL and are a bad tonal reference point. Greenbacks really mesh well here. The DSL was so overpriced when new, I'm glad to see them go for such low prices now. Sovtek MIGs aren't selling for $450 right now.

Btw, the JCM 600 is well-known for it's overheating problems. Maybe you could setup an exhaust fan on it for shows?

dwolfggc

Thanks guys, 2 questions...
Would I be right in assuming that if a DSL is still around it's probably a good one and not one of the lemons?

And would an overheating amp cause a fuse to blow like that? I play the amp several times a week for a couple hours every time and don't usually have a problem. Is it the cumulative effect of getting too hot over a couple months that stresses the fuse? Like I said it's only every three months or so and there's no discernible reason (that I can tell) why it blows at that moment and not another.

torgeot

I've had a DSL100 for about 5 years, I gigged it regular every week for a year never had an issue. I clipped that component and yeas it was much better. I don't use it too much now other than tracking in my house, but I won't get rid if it either. $450 is a great price.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
You need to ask a good tech to recommend a fuse ... I'm guessing a "slow" fuse and/or one of a slightly higher value will solve the issue without compromising the amp.

dwolfggc

You need to ask a good tech to recommend a fuse ... I'm guessing a "slow" fuse and/or one of a slightly higher value will solve the issue without compromising the amp.

It is a slow-blow fuse, I wonder as well if a slightly higher rated fuse might solve the issue. I just don't know what that fuse is protecting and if the fuse blowing is merely a symptom of a bigger issue. Also the tech i go to is about an hour away and always backed up. So it would mean a month or two without my amp.
I think right now i'm leaning towards getting the DSL.... or maybe not.... arggh, i don't know what to do :bonk

Trending Topics

Top Bottom