Marshall Dsl 100 Or Used Dsl 50 Watt Head ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brian hammond, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

Who plays a 100 watt half stack out there? Anyone.... I'm about to be playing small clubs ,love the sound of the big irons but after cruising TGP it seems ,well ,rediculus and foolish. Would the JCM 2000 50 watt head make that much of a difference ? love Marshall , love 4 x12 cab, want to make it work.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

DSL50, like pretty much every Marshall, sounds its best at way higher volumes than you can get away with. Even with a master volume I did not truly love the DSL50 I had until running it through an attenuator. Want an amp that doesn’t need to be cranked? Buy a more modern take like a Friedman or Bogner.

The JCM2000 series also has a design flaw that causes the bias to drift over time: https://drtube.com/en/modifications/jcm2000-stable-bias-mod

DrainBamage and Brian hammond like this.
  3. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

grab the first good deal on either.

Brian hammond likes this.
  4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

The big head and 4x12 looks great and most people here love them, but you'll be way over powered in a small club and will need to rent a step van to move it. So many options these days, @LaXu is right, do a modern take with power scaling or something. Go 1x12 or 2x12 IMHO.

5. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Bias drift was solved post 2003. Plenty of DSLs from 2004 onward. Either one is a solid deal. FWIW the new DSL100H and DSL100HR both have half power options.

garret and Holzar88 like this.
  6. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

Yeah I agree with above ^^

I’m a die hard Marshall fan as well and I’ve done the half stack and dual half stack thing which was totally unnecessary but hey it looks cool and sounded fantastic.

I used to own a JCM 100 and it roared..! Super loud and just sounded great. I also never had an issue using it quieter with either an 808 or the digitech hardwire series equivalent. If you’re dead set on the half stack rig, then go for it and get whichever you can find at a good price.

Furthermore I just picked up a dsl40cr and I keep it at our practice space. It made me miss my dsl100 a lot. I’m super impressed with that amp but yeah it’s a combo. Still though, if you’re getting into playing smaller places that is a tremendous amp and it pumps out a lot of sound.

7. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

Thanks again Gulliver, ,, yeah. I can just picture the sound man at the club as I Roll in my half stack rig " what the hell you think your doing there guitar guy?" lol...

8. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

and.... my Carvin 100 watt head sounds great to me but holy cow ,is It LOUD!

9. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

attenuator has been on my mind as a way to do what I want but be uhhhhhh" reasonable ".. how much tone does a good rock crusher suck ? is it really an answer to what I would like to do (play thru a head /cab )u think?

10. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

I love 100w amps. The headroom, the depth, how big they sound, everything. You don't have to turn them all the way up to enjoy the benefits.

11. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

u gig with a 100 watt half stack ?

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

Choose a good attenuator and it should not mess with the tone. It needs to be a reactive load. A unit like the Fryette PS2 is pretty fantastic for this sort of thing.

13. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

Yes. 2 halfstacks, actually. A Plexi, and a Bassman (45w) run together.
    I mostly play in Rock n Roll bars where I can play loud. But I play them on all gigs.

14. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I' rather have a 50 watt.

15. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Marshalls are the "father of loud" an they get the best tone driven loud IMO.

The rock crusher is a solid, built like a tank unit that sounds transparent until the studio -20db mode. Only potential problem is first attenuation knocks off 8 dbs.

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I had the 100w DSL and now own the 50W. They are both pretty loud. They sound the same for the most part. The 50 is cheaper to retube. So there you go.

17. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Same here - mine seems to sound best with the masters around 4 or so. Sometimes higher for the green channel, depending on clean or crunch mode.

As for the sound difference, with the 50 and 100 I've owned (still have the 50) I did feel that there was a difference between these two particular amps. The 100 sounded significantly better at lower volumes with more lower midrange... but that might not go for all of them. They were also built a few years apart. Otherwise very similar.

18. aryasridhar

aryasridhar Member

Please don’t go for the DSL100H, rubbish build, mine had power tubes blow up within the first week!! Tough to make it sound good at low volumes and is heavy as hell!!

If you were to get the Marshall sound, I highly recommend the Rockitt Retro 50 with a PPIMV. Will get the classic Marshall tone easily!! Hand wired and I think it now costs close to 1400 new!!

I have one and love it!!

and a clip to back my claim on the sounds!!

A CRANKED Plexi - Rockitt Retro 50

Matteo11 likes this.
  19. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I had on of those and still have a JCM800 2204 50 watter with upgraded iron. The JCM800 is ear bleeding in comparison. It probably shows up on the geiger counter at the local university.

Matteo11 and Brian hammond like this.
  20. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Ha Definitely. I have a 90w 20th Shiva and a 1984 50w JCM800 4104 and the Marshall is somehow at least twice as loud. Loudest amp I’ve ever had,