Marshall DSL 100 vs. Peavey 5150 II ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Big0range, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Big0range

Big0range Member

Anyone played / compared both of these?

I've been offered a 5150 II for my DSL 100. Haven't played the Peavey before; but from what I've read, it seems to be more high-gain than "brown sound". The Marshall does high-gain pretty well, though, and I wonder if the two amps will be more similar than not. I definitely don't need the extra power output (I was looking for <50w), but I'm intrigued by the trade possibility.

Thanks for any input!

2. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I had a DSl head and our old singer had a peavey 5150. I liked the DSl better, better cleans, and smoother drive.

4. coxswain

coxswain Member

Yea, I'd stick with the DSL. Not only does it have better cleans, but it also does the mid gain thing better than the 5150. If you decide that you want to get away from the high gain saturated sound, then the Marshall will be there to accomidate.

Chase

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

DSL by far!
    If you want more gain, go for a JVM.

The 5150 II, has that typical (modern) PV buzzy, fizzy, chainsaw tone going that just sucks...to my ears anyway.

6. JasonP

JasonP Member

I've owned both and also played with a friend that had the 5150 in a band situation.
    I can tell you straight out that the DSL has better mid gain tones and cleans. What the 5150 has is way more gain pn tap and is a little more compressed sounding rather then the DSL which is more open.
    The voicing of the two amps which the DSL is more hard rock sounding and the 5150 is more metal. Both cut very well in the mix. Tightness wise they are about the same.. 5150II a little tighter.
    I find the DSL's input is very picky where the 5150's tend not to care as much but still both require as any amp a good sounding guitar..
    I've always come back to the DSL over the 5150's. To me it's just a better sounding amp for what I hear in my head.

7. Big0range

Big0range Member

Thanks for the input. I'll get to check out the Peavey this weekend, but I know a little more about what to expect.