Marshall DSL 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drmojoxl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Drmojoxl

Drmojoxl Supporting Member

What do you think of this amp? Seems very versatile. I primarily play rock 90's to present. Opinions?

2. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

If on a limited budget, it's hard to beat the bang-per-buck of a used DSL 50. It can produce some very nice tones. The main "con" is that it is a modern Marshall when it comes to build quality (which potentially affects its long-term reliability).

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have heard lots of good things about this amp. I have been gassing hard for one. I need to find a used one in good condition.

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I think for Marshall tones in a non-boutique/non-vintage package, a guy could do a lot worse than a DSL50.

Seems I see a lot more used DSL100s than 50s. At least around these parts.

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Agreed. I see DSL100's on E-Bay at a 3 to 1 ratio vs. DSL50's. Wierd. Either people like their DSL50's better and won't give them up or maybe Marshall made a lot more DSL 100's?

6. Drmojoxl

Drmojoxl Supporting Member

Should be getting one tomorrow. I'm trading my Rectoverb combo for one. Never could really get into the Mesa sound. Looking forward to my DSL. I love the Marshall sound.

7. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

+1. Good, solid amp. I think reliability is pretty good with DSLs too. I also think the 100W DSLs sound a little better. Granted, who needs 100W?... for that matter who needs 50W? But I do think the 100W does sound better for some reason.

FWIW the DSL401 combos sound terrible -- I don't know what's different about those, but their tone isn't even in the same ballpark.

I have owned one or more of each of these amps in the past. Never had a problem or a regret. I just moved onto different gear.

8. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I like the DSL50, and prefer it to the 100.
    It's a great amp for the price they go for used.
    I did not care for the clean tones out of it, but the crunch and heavier tones were great.
    Shared eq is a downer.
    But if you're playing 90's up, set it up on OD1 and let er rip, use a boost in the loop for solos. All set!

9. bandintheclouds

bandintheclouds Supporting Member

Agreed, that for the price you can find these used, it's a really nice amp. I kind of like the clean tones actually, and I really like the "classic" gain channel. For me, the 2nd gain stage is just too much, but of course...you don't have to use it.

A lot of professional guitarists use this amp on the road. Hell, Jeff Beck was 4 DSL heads for a while!

10. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I'll agree with everything said. I have the 50, and I'm glad I sought it out over the glut of 100s. First channel OD (green) is where I live on this thing. This is probably the best bang for the buck Marshall-wise.

Regarding reliabilty: After a tube went, I had them all changed out after talking to my tech. He also went in a re-soldered some areas he thought looked a little weak, or are know trouble spots. Works like a tank now and is solid.