Marshall DSL tone without the Marshall DSL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reticon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. reticon

reticon Member

Ok, so The Donnas and Britt Black both use a DSL w/ Marshall 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks. At least thats what they say, and i beleive it because i used to have that same setup and it nailed the tones at both HIGH and LOW volumes. Its that snappy Hi-Gain rockish pop-punk sound with quick solid state rectifier attack...

If someone wanted that sound at both LOW and HIGH volumes, but didn't want to own one of the most unreliable amplifiers ever built, what would you recommend? Price is unimportant, it just has to be in current production, nothing vintage or discontinued.

I mean no offense to any marshall DSL owners and my opinion is soley based on my experiance in taking in amplifiers to repair.

reticon
    http://www.guitarlab.org

2. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Well, I've NEVER had a problem with my DSL. It's a tank.

Also, Mine'd been modded by Voodoo Amps with the Deluxe mod and I'm going to let it go to make room for a new amp...Had this baby for several years, and the Voodoo mod made a REAL difference in the overall sound making it better in every way...

So I guess if you've heard horror stories, I understand your reluctance. Me and two of my friends have 'em, and they have stood the test of time...I've gigged a plenty with mine, so it's not mint, but if you're interested and it's an amp who's sound you dig, you'll LOVE mine with the extra bells and whistles, but again, it's not mint.

3. reticon

reticon Member

I hear the there man, and i can beleive it. Mine was a champ as well, had it two years, sold it as i was going for a really good metal tone and that just wasn't it. I started offering amp repair locally and it was like DSL amps galore. Kind of scared me i guess.

Then again people do some really strange things to amps ya know? "Whaduya mean i have to hook a cab to it all the time?" etc... It could have been some isolated incidents and not an accurate reflection of the product. It still left me a bit edgey about owning another one. Thanks for the response though!

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Never a problem with my DSL 50 either, and I've never heard of major problems with the DSL 50/100s in general. I have heard that there were reliability problems with the 40 and 20 watt versions - I can't remember exactly what.

5. JasonP

JasonP Member

I've owned about 4 of the DSL100's. No problems with any of them. I've tired other amps because at first like you I was a bit nervous about owning one from looking at the insides. Once I got over that and relised that no other amp that I could buy would sound like a DSL, I changed my mind. Also you can get them for so cheap. I think a lot is user abuse. Like not checking the bias and not changing the power tubes. Or not plugging into a guitar cab.

6. JasonP

JasonP Member

I would like to say as well I've owned this DSL sinse '03. I installed a Heyboer output tranny C1998 and 3H choke from Brian Wallace of Marstran and it smokes. I like it better then the MM tranny that I had in there from Voodoo.

7. Miles

Miles Member

For marshall high gain tones in a remotely affordable and reliable package, I would get a Mesa stiletto. I think they sound better too, especially on the "clean" channel, which really isn't all that clean but the tone is there for that flavor.

8. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

Is yours a 50wt or 100wt DSL?

I used to own a 100wt DSL with the Voodoo Deluxe mod. LOVED that amp. Foolishly sold it and would love to have it back. The green channel with a boost was one of the BEST tones ever. Clean channel rocked, too.

9. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

Oh Dear what Claptrap. Do you realise how many DSLs have been sold?

10. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Mine is a 100 watt...LOUD, but really tamable. I've been using the red channel for so long...Many complain about it, but mine is raw Marshall distortion.

Only recently began using the Green Channel with a Keeley SD-1...It's great.

I'm just looking now looking at a Quickrod.

You interested?

11. Adwex

Adwex Member

Did someone say "The Donnas"? I love Allison Robertson!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I saw the Donnas at the 9:30 Club in DC a few years ago and was blown away at how tight they sound they sounded. Allison was using P-90 loaded SG's through a DSL half stack and Fender Vibrolux Reissue. She had great tone is a really good player.

Oh, and she's a definate HOTTIE!!! If I ever get a chance to produce them, I'll have to keep it strictly professional and takes lots of saltpeter:munch

I think where a lot of people miss out on the DSL is using 75 watt or V30 Celestions instead of Greenbacks. IMO, that amp sound best with the speaker breakup GB's provide.

If you want more note separation and variety, try the Bad Cat Tone Cat or Hot Cat amps. They can get you to DSL land and beyond.

Also, low output pickups help too. More clarity and definition. I personally love the Dimarzio Virtual PAF Hot for the bridge position when using humbuckers and Fralin P-90's can't be beat in a Junior, Special, etc.

Good luck,

Jamal

13. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

My DSL50 sounded great with the 4x12 V30 cabinet. I ran it hard with an attenuator and it was rock solid.