Marshall DSL100h - Modern 'pop punk' distortion sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redhot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. redhot

redhot Member

Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been searching around the forum and reading several posts for a couple of days now.

I'd just like to get your thoughts on the best way to achieve a modern pop punk distortion sound from a Marshall DSL100h?

I'm thinking tone similar to the likes of you me at six, paramore, a day to remember etc...

From what I've read the "best" way is natural tube overdrive from the amp, cranking up the gain and boosting with a tubescreamer if needed. I tried this on the clean and crunch channel but it wasn't heavy enough, I think 'overdrive' is not what I'm looking for, I need distortion.

If I use the 'Ultra Gain' channels on this amp I can get a heavier tone however would this still be classed as natural tube overdrive? From what I understand these channels are 'clipped' so not natural?

The other option is to get the sound from a distortion pedal and run it through the clean channel with lower gain. Again this wouldn't be classed as 'natural' but is this the best way to get distortion tones as opposed to overdrive sounds?

I'm so confused with all the options and I know it all comes down to personal taste but I'd like to know what is generally considered the 'best' way to get the distortion tone I'm after.

Would be very interested to get your opinions!

Cheers

2. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Nothing "unnatural" about clipping, per se. It's what's doing the clipping (diodes vs. tubes) that people [here] generally care about.

3. halcyon

And yes, that amp will do pop punk 'til the cows come home. It's almost what it was meant for. Just turn it on, basically.

4. ken374

ken374 Member

I have the 40c it kicks ass, when you use lead 2 drop the gain to half because theres so much.

5. redhot

redhot Member

Thanks, so would I be right in thinking that the clipping on the amps ultra gain channel will be done by tubes?

As opposed to the clipping done in the pedal which will be done by diodes?

6. lameburger

lameburger Member

I think the second Paramore album is mostly DSL100. Should do you just fine.

7. halcyon

Well, I'm no expert on the design of the DSL100h, but presumably... yes.

Note that Marshall have, in the past, used diodes for clipping in some of their "tube" circuits -- most notably in the JCM 900.

8. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

1. There are no clipping diodes in the the DSL's. Use whichever channel sounds best.

2. Don't worry about whether your sound comes from an all-tube signal path, solid state components, or a mix of the two. Whichever gives you the sound you like best is best.

3. All those guitar sounds on the albums are multi-tracked and gated to sound thick and tight. Don't expect to get that sound out of any one amp alone.

There are enough options on those amps to get close to that sound. Don't be afraid to experiment or feel you need to follow certain rules.