• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Marshall dsl20cr green channel overdrive for crunch

lcfparty35

Hey folks, I know the topic has come up before here and there, but surely I'm not the only one out there wanting a focused discussion. Also, I'm pressed for playing time with new baby and busy work schedule, so:

I want a pedal to turn the green channel on my new dsl20c into crunch. Already bought and dig the amp. Serious bonus points for cheap pedals. The cheaper, the better, but it's the TGP so come at me with whatever. Battery operated also a perk but not essential.

lcfparty35

Yeah, I'd consider one of those Donner ones or whichever. Had a Rat 2 I recently sold off, prior to this amp. My other main amp is a PRRI and it did nothing for me through that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I love Rats but don’t like the newer ones. For very cheap, you’d be hard pressed to do better than the Joyo US Dream...clone of the Suhr Riot and sounds identical.

Arrowhead

It might depend on what guitars you use, but with my Les Paul and DSL I like using a Boss BD2 for crunch. It has a great clear crunch that keeps your eq fairly neutral. If you crank the gain it also does a cool fuzzy drive.

lcfparty35

May check out the bd 2. I’ve tried with the sd 1 and sold it with with the rat 2.

I may already own the solution. I have a barbershop, looking glass, archer, a brownies n cream miab, and a cheapo blues crab blues breaker clone. Only tried the barbershop which I may explore some more with and the blues crab which was a bit bright in an already bright amp. But I guess I want another new toy (hence they cheap request lol). The looking glass feels like it might be the answer. I get a chance to put them through the paces tomorrow if plans hold.

I just don’t get why the green channel on the dsl stays so clean. It’s not a bad clean for sure but crunch like the bigger models seems like a no brainer. Oh well.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Timmys were made to push Marshalls. If you need some more gain crunch / klon type works bc its a hard clipper. Similarly if you want distortion... a good RAT or OCD will get you there.

Sam Xavier

I have the big, older brother to your amp, the JCM 2000 series DSL 100. I can state from experience that the Boss BD-2 plays well with it, so I guess it would work for yours, too.

Fu Schnickens

I have a DSL 40 head conversion, with the green clean, low gain high volume. The Xotic SL does exactly what you're looking for - add juicy Marshall crunch without sucking the bass out. With the red channel it'll get you VH and Metallica. I have the dip switches set to Super Bass mode.

I found the BD-2 to suck bass, and it has a sputtering, un-smooth decay into clean that I didn't like. Had it modified by Keeley and it was better, but not as good as the SL right out of the box.

lcfparty35

Was a little worried about that with the BD, Fu. I'll look into the SL; maybe I can swing one for xmas! (As I've meant to imply, my gear budget for the year is pretty well spent).

lcfparty35

Since I'm sure people were dying for an update, lol, I thought I'd add that with the house to myself for an afternoon and the amp finally turned up, that little bit of grit with the gain pretty up on the green channel is doing it for me, so this may have been a false alarm. I think I will eventually get a nice Plexi style pedal, next time I'm able to drop some cash on gear, just for what would amount to another channel, more or less, but I'm happy with the amp as is and pedal free, which has been my preference as of late. Sure, I made the post, but I spent last year down endless rabbit holes with pedals and not a lot to show for it in the end. I get more of my money's worth out of amps, and I have a Marshall, Vox, and Fender.

Who cares, amiright? But there it is, for the afternoon. I really appreciate the suggestions!

vintage66

Yeah, I'd consider one of those Donner ones or whichever. Had a Rat 2 I recently sold off, prior to this amp. My other main amp is a PRRI and it did nothing for me through that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah, I don’t like the rat through everything but it’s my favorite through my Dsl50. I fairly recently got a BD-2 Waza but haven’t tried it through that amp but need to after all the replies. My second favorite is a Skreddy Screwdriver. Mine is a 90’s Rat 2, don’t know about the newer ones.

Trending Topics