Marshall DSL40 vs Mesa Rectoverb 25 - huge volume difference. Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fu Schnickens, May 7, 2016.

1. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

Why is the Mesa so damn loud? Not that it's a "bad" thing, but... maybe impractical. I got the Marshall a while ago and have it set for rehearsal and live at about 4.5 on the volume dial for both clean and dirty. Clean is pretty clean, with gain at about 2.5, and Dirty is moderately heavy, about 6 on the gain dial. With roughly the same sounds dialed in on the Mesa the volume sits at about 2 on the dial, if that. Any more and it just blows us all away. I'd like to hit the sweet spot, but I'd need armor. Why is the Mesa so much louder at 25 watts than the Marshall at 40 watts? The DSL is a combo with a 75 watt creamback. The ROV head goes through a Marshall JTM 2x12 with G12 Heritage. I use the 2x12 with the DSL, too, but there's not much volume difference vs. the combo alone. Resistance ohms are matching.

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Because... They're Mesas. The little ones are loud, the big ones can sterilize a water buffalo from fifty yards.

3. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Mesa's do seem to have that miniscule movement in the volume where they go from fairly quiet and weak sounding to just all out insanely loud and ballsy. There usually isn't much of a curve between the 2 you can dial in. My Mesa Mark IV and Tremoverb are the same way. When you can get them loud they sound amazing. When you can't they aren't as fun to play.

Cruciform likes this.
  4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Rov the volume and gain are interrelated. The higher the gain, the more it growls. I have no idea of what kind of music you play or the pups in your guitar, but I find the rov volume taper to be pretty even.

You are putting it through 2x12 that is not exactly a means for low volume. You will generate a lot of low end.

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

You must be using the "modern" voice. With the Vintage voice I can play at home at 10:00 to 10:30, even 11:00 at times. This is with the gain at 1:00.

Put the gain back to 11:00 and switch it to Modern, and 9:00 on the volume is LOUD. You've added a gain stage (or two..?) when you kick it to Modern, so you're slamming the back end pretty hard. Again though (said this in other threads) it comes on fast, but it is not an instant 1/16" bump goes from too quiet to too loud, like some amps. It's smooth, just fast.

When you design amps to do multiple things, you can't match the perfect pot taper for everything they do so there has to be some compromise. In fact, the Mark V25 has a dual pot volume control on the clean channel, because they just couldn't get one pot volume that worked appropriately for all 3 voices on that channel.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  6. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Well the taper of the Vol pots might be different between amps. The only way to really tell if the Mesa is louder I to set all the dials to maximum on both amps then compare.

middy likes this.
  7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Part of it is probably the taper on the volume pots, but I've read that this issue has been addressed wiht the Mark V's, so that should not be too much of a factor.
    Most of it is the multiple gain stages that boost the signal incoming to the power valves so much. It's like having a couple of Super Hard On boosts engaged.
    Don't worry too much about what the number on the volume dial says. With my Mark 2C+, I can make the horns fall off the aforementioned water buffalo on about 2, and the difference between sterilising it and making it's hooves explode is about a whisker of a turn.

8. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

I agree. The modern voice is beastly.

9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Exactly

10. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Neat, isn't it? Remember this and chuckle the next time you hear some knuckle dragger tell you that he "needs big iron" because "nothing under 100 watts is loud enough" to be heard over his drummer.

AshMaui likes this.
  11. wbm68

wbm68 Member

Check the back of the DSL40 and see if it is set to full power or half power. Maybe you accidentally switched it to half power?

12. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

The difference in volume between 25 and 40 watts is marginal. However, a lower wattage amp with a more efficient set up can very well sound louder.

13. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

"Sterilize water buffalo" loll lol. Thanks for the replies. Both amps at full power, modern mode engaged on the Mesa. I guess that's just the way it is. I tried the vintage mode and it is lower in volume, but has a honky quality that can't be dialed out. I prefer the tonality of the modern, and it does sound good. I guess I won't have to worry at bigger gigs. My bandmates were quite happy with my new toy as well. And I understand now about how some users say that Mesas are unforgiving and highlight everything about your playing. Music just jumps out of that thing in a very assertive way. It's hard in a way that Marshall is soft(er). Sag vs no sag, I suppose. The interactivity of the EQ is interesting , too. Me likey! I finally have two amazing amps instead of a great amp and a shttty backup.

14. ken374

ken374 Member

When I had that mesa the modern channel topped out at 9 o clock or just a tad more, dont know if it was louder though prb not.

15. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I have both of these amps and haven't found a huge volume difference between them. The DSL40 on the clean channel set to clean mode doesn't have a lot of volume but the dirt channel on either mode is loud as hell. And the clean channel set to crunch mode is also loud as hell. But the volume is affected a lot by where the gain control is set at.

Both amps can be loud, both can be quiet...just depends on how loud you want to play them.

And as others mentioned, the taper of the volume pots is probably different on both amps. I've never compared them side by side though, I just set the volume by ear.

16. The Funk

The Funk Member

Different volume knob tapers.

And 40 watts vs 25 watts isn't actually that much difference. A couple decibels when running at capacity. There may be efficiencies in the mesa as well. Watts also may be measured differently by different companies.

17. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

Same speakers (or at least speaker sensitivity)?

18. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

If you think that puny thing is loud, you'd better have diapers on if you try out an Electradyne....LOL!

TubeStack likes this.