Marshall DSL40C or Fender Blues Junior?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, May 31, 2015.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I currently have a Fender 65 DRRI and a Fender Pro Junior with upgraded Jensen Speaker...

I have a Fender Blues Junior with Cannabis Rex on backorder, but lately I have been thinking about the Marshall DSL40C.

Price is comparable, so that is not a factor.

The Blues Junior is more portable, but I do have the Pro Junior, so not a huge factor.

The Marshall is a two channel amp with 4 different gain stages, the Blues Junior is just a single channel master volume amp, my other two amps are both single channel non-master volume amps.

If I get the Marshall, does it pay to buy one with the upgraded Celestion Creamback speaker?

I could order both amps and return one or if I like both, possibly sell my Pro Junior.

Growing up I always loved the Gibson in to a Marshall tone and the Fender in to a Fender tone, oh how I wish money was no object.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I'd personally go with the Blues Junior. The DSL series is too modern sounding to me and is not so much like the iconic Marshall sound that we think of from the 70's. You could also look for a JCM 800 combo (4010 or 4210) from the 1980's or think about an Orange Tiny Terror combo or Orange Rocker 30. All can be had for between $500 - $800.

It seems like you're after a punchy, midrangey, dirty sound to contrast the cleaner scooped sound of the Fenders. All those amps would do it.

3. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks, I've bought and sold so many Blues Juniors, I am afraid this will be more of the same.
    I can handle more modern tones, but the Crunch channel seems like vintage Marshall, but I could be wrong.

4. ken374

ken374 Member

Get the upgraded Marshall they rock man! I had a Jr a few years ago there decent.

5. yell03

yell03 Member

Is the speaker swap that much of an improvement in the Marshall?

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

If I were you, even though I have a Blues Jr. III with a C.Rex that I love, I'd get the Marshall because - variety.

Certainly, DRRI sounds different from the Blues Jr., but they are in the same neighborhood. The Marshall will give you something different.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

Oh yeah pretty much! I put a warehouse British lead in. Took the bright high end out really nicely.

8. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Both amps are limited and only OK. You will end up with new tubes and speakers in them... Still not be happy.

9. yell03

yell03 Member

I could always buy both and sell the Pro Jr if I like the Blues Jr better, but I don't know if I would like the Blues Jr with C-Rex any better than my Pro Jr with upgraded jensen?

That is good that a speaker change does that, I would never clip the bright cap.

I must admit I love my Fender 65 DRRI, it just needs pedals. My Pro Jr I like, but it does not inspire me to play like the DRRI.
    I was thinking the Marshall would do that for me.
    I did have a Marshall JVM205C a while back, it didn't last long.
    I wish my Budda SD45 was not so frickin loud, I loved that amp.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had both amps and like both but personally I preferred the much lighter Blues Junior III with some mods and the right pedals for some really nice Rock tones, just mic the amp for a bigger sound if needed.

11. yell03

yell03 Member

That is where it gets tough....

The Blues Jr is nice and light and with pedals it will do all of my tones, but

the Marshall can also do that with pedals, but no pedals needed if I don't want to use them.

I might just keep both on order and either return one of them or sell the Pro Jr, heck, maybe I will keep them all.
    Then again, for the price of the Marshall and Blues Jr ($1200) what other options are out there?

12. yell03

yell03 Member

I ended up ordering the Marshall with the upgraded Creamback Speaker from Sweetwater.

I still have not cancelled the order for the Blues Junior, it is backordered until 6/29th anyway. This gives me some time to see how I like the Marshall.

13. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

What about a mesa combo or mini head? Egnator? A budda 18watt?

14. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

My next amp is probably going to be a Avatar 45. So I'll suggest that or its little brother the Avatar 18. Both are below $1100, handwired and made in the USA. From the reviews I've read and videos I've watched they do the Marshall thing very well.

15. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Damn right. They have the classic tone unlike the dsl.

16. yell03

yell03 Member

Already had a Budda SD18, too loud for at home.
    The little Mesa looks nice, but for the $$$ I have to try the Marshall.

17. yell03

yell03 Member

Oh well, already ordered the Marshall, should be here by Wednesday, I'll give you guys my honest opinion.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They're not even remotely similar amps, other than them both being combos. The BJ is one of the worst sounding, overpriced pieces of junk I've ever owned, so I'd vote for just about anything else.

19. Jimmys15

Jimmys15 Member

I agree 100%, a friend has a Blues Jr. Humbolt. Nothing about that amp sounds appealing to me. Its all mids with no lows, and the highs are harsh, and there is no Eqing out the cardboard box sound. I often leave the room when he's playing or anybody else is playing thru that thing.
    The Marshall DLS40c is far superior to the BJ, and sounds pretty close to my JCM2000 DSL50 w/green backs.

ken374 likes this.
  20. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks guys, most likely I will cancel out the Blues Jr, the Marshall should be here Wednesday