Marshall DSL40C or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by piman, May 21, 2015.

1. piman

piman Member

First time posting, and I apologize if there are people that have already been in my situation that have had this question answered. I am in search of a tube amp and I thought I hade narrowed it down to the Marshall until some guy I work with told me about his rig that he is selling. I can get the Marshall for $550 to $600 new which is right at the top of my price range. Now the guy I work with is selling, for $750, a Hot Rod Deluxe from '96 he thinks, along with anew '06 PRS Santana, and a hunch of Ibanez pedals (2 tube screamers, a demon wah, delay, and chorus) on a board. The tempting aspect is that it is only another $150 over budget and I get a guitar and some pedals. Maybe if I don't like the amp I can turn it around for a few bills towards the Marshall, but I am leaning to the Fender.

For the record I want a solid middle range wattage. 40 is probably perfect like these twow. My playing consists of trashy punk rock like the Stooges to heavy ass riffs like Sleep and Electric Wizard to some slightly distorted blues. I don't do much clean but I like the ability to play some jazz if I ever get the feeling to. I think the Marshall fits my parameters but if I can make the Fender work I may get the deal of a life time. I wish I could afford both but I am going off to college next fall and can't justify that much lol.

2. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Wow! That's one tough choice! The Marshall is one hell of a amp, but that's a great deal on the Fender, PRS and pedals. Either way it's a win, but if it were me I'd go for the Marshall.

3. piman

piman Member

Now I have heard that you can get a Marshall sound out to the Fender with pedals and modding the back. I plan on using my DS-1 anyway because I have heard the drive is a bit thin on the Fender.

4. Pasloade74

Pasloade74 Member

Go for the Hot Rod! At one point I had both and I just wasnt satisified with the marshall. Still have the hot rod.

5. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

If you feel like you're going to have to "make it work" I would go with the Marshall. Especially if you know that playing clean is not hugely important. Get an amp that has a drive sound you like. It'll save you years of time going through different pedals. That HRD and PRS is a killer deal though so its worth thinking about. I just personally think having an amp that fits your style is more important than a good deal. Especially in the long run.

iama likes this.
  6. mizzlfoshizzl

mizzlfoshizzl Member

HRD is bitchin for your music. The dirty channel is cool, it's the "more" channel that is meh. Or if you like the crunch from your stomp of choice, you have a crap load of clean headroom to get it as loud as you want. That Marshall is gonna compress a lot even on the clean channel when you turn it up and if you run a stomp into it I would expect it to mush out way more than the HRD.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

I played with pedals for 2 years, bogners pedals and some different ones with Fender amps. There decent buts its no Marshall! the 40c rocks! once you break in the speaker or change it and add some good preamp tubes your good.

8. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I personally would go with the HR and the other gear . You could always sell the prs and a few pedals to get what you want. I always use the clean tone for the foundation of my tone. After that you can achieve most anything else with pedals . The clean on the hrdx slays the Marshall.

9. ken374

ken374 Member

BS! I can set my cleans almost prb as good as my old 68 custom twin!

10. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Man, that's a no brainer...

You get a SWEET amp, with a great guitar and pedals to get you started - for $750?!? That's a whole setup that's ready to gig for about the price of a new HRD!

I'd a already grabbed that deal man. The amp is worth $450-$500 all day long. Guitar maybe $300-$400? Pedals, depending but maybe $40-$50 each? You're getting a steal dude. Take it and run! (and don't forget to thank him!)

11. PaulML

PaulML Member

I would get the fender. That's a really good deal in my opinion and you may be kicking yourself later if you don't capitalize. It sounds like both amps will be useful to you so you can always get the Marshall afterwards when the funds are available. In the meantime use those pedals to get closer to that Marshall tone and the fender on its own can get some awesome breakup. Maybe some day you can run the two amps together for tonal awesomeness. Good luck with whatever you decide!

12. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

you can add marshall and vox to a fender, but can't add fender to a marshall or vox

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

If it was just between the amps then i'd go for the Marshall. But all the extra gear with the HRD would be very tempting. I guess it depends on if you need all the extras with the HRD.

14. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Buy the Fender! If you don't like it you could sell it on for enough to pay for the Marshall, AND you get a load of extra kit. No-brainer!

15. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I'd go Marshall. The 40C has a really nice clean channel, and can be cranked for a nice crunch sound. The HRD needs pedals to do anything beyond clean, IMO. Yes, you get "moar stuff" with the Fender, but if its not stuff you would have bought on your own, is it really any benefit?

ThePitbullofLove and ken374 like this.
  16. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

I can't speak to the differences between the two amps because I've never played them side by side. I'm very doubtful that most of the people who are sharing an opinion one way or another have either, but that's par for the course on TGP.

Here's my experience with the HRD:
    The first thing to be aware of on the HRD is that the older ones (maybe the HRD III too?) go from a nice quiet living room level just below 1 on the volume knob to band-level loud at 1.5 on the volume knob. If you need your amp to accomodate playing at home, check the volume knob on the amp to make sure it's not one of the ones that goes from quiet to loud with nothing in between.

Next, bear in mind that these are used by A LOT of touring and regularly gigging players because they're super reliable and tend to sound the same in every room. The reverb is also really great.

Last, these amps have an internal bias pot that allows you to run the power tubes hotter/cooler which affects the tone of the amp. Mine really warmed up when I biased the amp hotter and installed 5881 power tubes, which are short-bottle 6L6 tubes that tend to have less clean headroom. When you get the amp a little warmer, the crunch channel starts to sound really good and it becomes very responsive to OD, Fuzz and distortion pedals and still has plenty of clean headroom. Even with the better tubes and bias, the high-gain channel still sucks. One thing that might be contributing to the wide range of opinions (besides people just talking out their a**) is where the amp bias is set. It really does make an audible difference.

You can find the earlier ones for under $400 if you're patient, so if you don't really want the PRS and pedals, you may just want to buy the amp separately or be sure that the resale value of the stuff you don't want makes selling it a better deal than just buying the amp by itself.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  17. Old Chomper

Old Chomper Member

I'd go with the Fender deal. that's a lot of gear for the dough. Worst case scenario, you can sell off the amp, guitar and other stuff for probably equal or more than you paid. Plus, if you DO like the Fender, you can still sell off all the other stuff and get a nice amp for little dough.

18. piman

piman Member

Wow a lot of info. I am seeing more people pushing for the HRD than the DSL40C so I think I am going to go with that. It is what my gut is telling me too. If it sucks, which I am sure it won't, I can probably get $400 for it right? That plus maybe $100-$150 for my Line 6 should be enough to get the Marshall. the worst part is that he said he wants to hang onto the gear until mid July so I gotta wait.

19. iama

iama Member

For your basic tone, Marshall. For reliability, Fender. I have both. There is no pedal that truly sounds like a Marshall.

Keep in mind the HRD you're speaking about is probably a first year version. The go used here between 3-400. I have the HRD 3 and it's a beautiful amp with many improvements. There's no wonder why so many love them. A great amp if you are pedal driven.

To me, I could gig with the Marshall and a cord only. The basic tone is awesome and I prefer the Marshall cleans.

My JCM900 combo is having some reliability issues. This after performing flawlessly for 26 years. I'd done no maintenance all those years.

If you're playing anything remotely metal, go Marshall. I'd probably pass on that Fender deal. Not the best version, a PRS (I personally don't dig them except for the top line Santana model I played at NAMM), if you like those budget level guitars and a bunch of pedals that are ok. I wouldn't want to have to sell them if I didn't care for them.

Plus the Marshall will have a warranty vs a 19 year old amp you'll roll the dice with. What if it needs work shortly after you buy it? No bargain there.

I'm sold. Marshall is what I'd do.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  20. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I gig an HRD and use pedals to get the Marshall sound. HRD's are such great pedal platforms...get the Fender! :aok