• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Marshall DSL40CR - speaker alternative

kb813

Gold Supporting Member
Any recommendations on a new speaker for the DSL40CR? I am not a fan of the V-Type speaker in there.

Thanks

Oinkus

I got a friend a V1 with a Creamback and it sounded great once I changed the tubes. Good speaker all around.

kb813

Gold Supporting Member
Which spots did your friend change tubes in and which tube type?

stephen78

Supporting Member
I just posted about this in another DSL thread. I think the V-type is the perfect speaker for the DSL40CR...but you gotta break it in. It really changes once it is broken in. It needs to have some volume put through it for a good period of time. I play mine on 40 watt mode with the master volumes wide open, and control the overall volume with the channel volumes.

But...if you really don't like it, I have tried both the Creamback M and the Neo Creamback with success. In the end I went back to the V-type.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
I agree, had a cab with Greenbacks, went back to the v-type. It sounds better and better and really is a perfect fit, from cleans to all kinds of driven sounds. And I don't care for V30's too much.

7thString

+1 on V-type > greenback in the DSL40CR. I have tried both and the v type is a better match, as much as I like greenbacks.

cam0122

I just posted about this in another DSL thread. I think the V-type is the perfect speaker for the DSL40CR...but you gotta break it in. It really changes once it is broken in. It needs to have some volume put through it for a good period of time. I play mine on 40 watt mode with the master volumes wide open, and control the overall volume with the channel volumes.

But...if you really don't like it, I have tried both the Creamback M and the Neo Creamback with success. In the end I went back to the V-type.
How long does it take to break in the speaker?

stephen78

Supporting Member
How long does it take to break in the speaker?
It really depends. If you're someone that gigs often, maybe not that long. For someone who plays at home at lower volumes, it can take a long while.

I'm mainly a hobbyist, but I gig once in a blue moon. Last summer I played two outdoor parties at a decent volume, for a good portion of the day both times. When I came home and plugged my DSL in, the speaker sounded much better.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
As an aside... how do you keep both masters all the way up and not have it be incredibly loud to get good tone? I realize each channel has its own volume but even 1/2 way is loud. BUT- true, it starts to sound glorious, beyond. It's enough to blow doors down in a medium club, let alone my music room.

Has anyone tried the G12H30 Celestion 70th Anniversary in one of these? I had one in a Tiny Terror combo and it was awesome when cranked up/... maybe not doable at 30 watts.....

i3oosted

Had a DSL40CR and ran through some speakers: retro30, et65, creamback, greenback. All had their plus and minuses but nothing overwhelmingly had to have until I tried a Mesa v30.

Mesa v30... get one, that's the one.

When I had mine, it sounded great through my Orange PPC212 with V30s.

The combo had a G12T75, very different sounding. Not my cup of tea, but I could see how people would like it.

Tight low end, prominent sharp high end, perfect for 80s rock to modern metal....

Oinkus

The original version of the DSL 40c had Chinese tubes I replaced them with a straight set of JJs and it was quite an improvement. I think the DSL40CR already has them stock

KingsXJJ

I’d use a 65-watt Creamback. That speaker just does it for me with Marshall tones. I’d also put a Groove Tubes Select 12AY7 in V1.

stephen78

Supporting Member
As an aside... how do you keep both masters all the way up and not have it be incredibly loud to get good tone? I realize each channel has its own volume but even 1/2 way is loud. BUT- true, it starts to sound glorious, beyond. It's enough to blow doors down in a medium club, let alone my music room.

Has anyone tried the G12H30 Celestion 70th Anniversary in one of these? I had one in a Tiny Terror combo and it was awesome when cranked up/... maybe not doable at 30 watts.....
For home playing, I have both masters all the way up...and it’s definitely loud, but I just slightly bump the channel volumes up a tad to keep it from blowing my walls down. It super touchy, but once you find the sweet spot for “kinda loud but bearable” at home volume it’s great.

I did try a G12H30, which was also broken in...way too bright with the DSL40CR in my opinion.

Trending Topics