Marshall experts, 50 watt JMP ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bigtone, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

What is THE ultimate year for a 4 input 50 Watt JMP? EL34's

THE Priorities...

Warmth with a good amount of gain... NO RASPY topend, still retaining a good 4 input type Marshall clean,

68 Plexi?

71 or 72 JMP?

Curious on some thoughts,

Thanx,

Bigtone

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have a 71 that smokes.. I have changed the bright cap from a 5k to a 100pf to sweeten up the cleans. The 5k was really thin at low volumes and crunched up real quick. It is kinda like driving a hot rod. Hard to mess around with it without stomping on the gas.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Got 2 76's and a 74 all unmolested but each one has a different tone yet plexi/jmp still the same. So gotta try before ya buy

4. black knight

black knight Member

As stated, anything from late 60's through early 70's will likely get you where you want to go. The oldest I've ever owned was a 71 metal panel. It got nasty quicker than my 73 and 74 models. I love these amps. They are loud and clean (IMHO, as good, albeit different, as fender cleans). Then you have options - attenuate, stomp boxes, less efficient speakers, less speakers, etc. to get nasty at a reasonable level. Though they do vary, I've never plugged into a 50 watt jmp from this era that didn't sound good. Paired with the right speaker, these amps are pretty much the benchmark IMHO. Hard to say what is the ultimate year as they do vary. Don't be afraid of the PCB's either. They sound just as good if tone is what you're after. They started using them mid-seventy three. The circuit remained unchanged. Don't know if that helps but good luck anyway.

5. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

Like others have said: Try before you buy. I've owned a few and they all sounded different. Unmodified circuits. All sounded great... just different. Much of the tone differences have to do with the componentry used and subsequent drifting from spec.

6. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

Yes, you've got to play them to know what the goods are. I too ended up with a 76 (bought it new) that has lots of gain and is lush sounding. I had a 69 that was hard and cold, so you just never know. The 69 probably had a much higher street value as well as internet regard, but later 4 holers can sound great in spite of negative perceptions of not being hand-wired, etc.

Ir you're new to these amps, you definitely need to mess with the bright cap on the volume one pot if it has the original value in it. It makes that channel piercingly treble'y and basically useless, and could confuse your impressions of an otherwise fine amp.

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I had a '72 50-watter that was a fire breather. Never shoulda sold that one... :cry:

8. Roe

Roe Member

I'd say 67 or 68, depending on what you like

9. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I have a 76 JMP 50 watter that I love. No experience with anything older, but I'm happy with what I have.

10. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

My 75 jmp is pretty sweet but my 69 Plexi is still the best Marshall I own

11. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

The individual amp makes ALL the difference not what year it is. I've had many original JTM45's and Plexi's as well as many JMP 50's and 100's throughout the 70's. My favorite amp and the one I still have is a '70 (or '71) 50 watt JMP. For me, the best Marshall's have great clean tones before they breakup. It they do that, then they usually don't get buzzy when cranked.

12. Roe

Roe Member

yes, individual amps vary. 67 is great if you want that fat jtm/bass sound. 68 is great for the lead sound

13. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Lots of great tones in early Marshalls. The trick is preserving that tone at volumes that won't make you deaf.;) I honestly can't say which is my favorite I like them all.

[​IMG]

14. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

My 68 JMP is the **** for what you decribe but in all honesty my Traynor YBA-1's do it too for 1/10 the price!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I just recently scored a "76 JMP 50 on ebay, got it a couple days ago, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Lush full-bodied clean which turns to a warm-well-balanced growling overdrive @ about 5. I cannot believe how great it sounds. It's a four-holer 1987 circuit, and I got it for a GREAT price.

16. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Thanx for the reply's,

So a 4 holer 1987 model from the mid 70's is the SAME circuit as a Plexi
    but with different bright cap value's?

Is this correct??? Is there any other changes?

How about the 71-72 Circuit, seems there gainier??

Bigtone

17. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd strongly consider a 1986 circuit, also .

18. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I've been wondering the same thing! What are the differences?

19. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

It's the same circuit. According to Aspen Pittman's book some minor changes were made here and there from about '70 thru '76, mostly to add more gain. I don't know exactly what changes they were technically, maybe an amp tech will weigh in here. Also, Marshall started using PCB in 1970(?). Mine's a PCB but I have decided that I cannot hear enough of a difference for it to matter (some people immediately start sniffing cork at the mere mention of a PCB). My amp tech says that the early PCBs are constructed well and sound just as good (but SLIGHTLY brighter & more gain) as the 60's plexis and my ears agree with that.

20. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

PCBs came in mid '73, as I recall.