1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Marshall Guv'nor Clones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by philiprst, May 19, 2011.

1. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Many years ago I owned an original Marshall Guvnor pedal that I used upfront of my Marshall amps. It was a great combination and I am now interested in finding a pedal that can serve as a replacement to the long lost Guv'nor. What I especially liked about the pedal was the comprehensive EQ and as I have been looking around that is a feature that seems to be missing from the pedls I have found that seem to be based on the original Guv'nor.

I have tried the Wampler Pinnacle II, which is a great pedal, but has its own unique voice. I have also tried the MI Crunch Box, same story. I guess there is something about the original guvnor that works well when put in front of a Marshall amp compared to pedals I have tried that attempt get the marshall amp tone out of a single pedal.

I am interested in any suggestions. I understand that I may need to seek out an original but I am concerned about the pricing and the fact that the one I had was not the sturdiest pedal I have evet owned.

2. nerdbot

nerdbot Member

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Always wanted to know too. I thought the Wampler Plextortion was based on the Guv'

4. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

THere is a review of the ToneCandy Red Hot in a 2008 issue of Premiere Guitar that suggests it's a fine replacement for a Guv'nor. I haven't tried a Guv'nor, but I recently picked up a Red Hot in trade. It definitely has a high gain, Marshall stack kind of feel and tone. It sounds much better through my Bad Cat Cub than through my BF Fenders, so I would guess that it would sound good in front of a Marshall.

5. Agreed

Agreed Member

The Plextortion is built around the foundations of the original Guv'nor circuit, but with quite a few modifications and additional circuitry to make it, in our opinion (and in my opinion, too, I bought one of 'em in, iirc, pretty early 2009 and didn't start working for the Wampler Pedals 'til the very end of 2010, my opinion on this ought to count :eek:), sound more like a hot JCM800 in a box - tighter, more punch, capable of more dirt/sustain at extremes. It's just a design decision to go with this or that tone shaping method, but I think the three band EQ is a good thing - makes it easy to dial it in for just about anything. For awhile before my wife and I moved down here, my main gear was all packed up and I pretty much just had my Champ 600 and its small speaker doesn't like bass at all, but I was able to dial the overall frequency in to sound remarkably like a cranked Marshall anyway. I thought that was cool at the time. I think I even mentioned it in the review I wrote for it back then. Shouts to FrugalGuitarist :hiP

Props where they're due, Marshall made a great circuit with the Guv'nor. I wish they had made more of them back when they were making the big box versions. I think they missed an opportunity with the GV-2, the addition of the Deep knob (too deep, imo!) and the overall change in tone and clipping characteristics made it sound very different to my ears, less usable at higher gain settings... Started to kind of fizz and fart at the same time earlier on its dirt knob. Of that series of Marshall pedals, I think the Jackhammer is a better sounding one than the GV-2, maybe even more like the original Guv'nor than the GV-2.

6. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

7. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I have heard clips of the Menatone KOB("King Of The Britains") pedal that came close. The original, larger version, was supposedly based on the 68 plexi circuit. Marshall needs to bring the Gov' back.

8. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I have a very early original one and IMO, there's nothing quite like it. It sounds great through my Marshall and Fender amps to boot. Just something about it that I haven't heard or felt with other similar pedals.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

agreed. i have the drivemaster which is close and i got the mi audio crunch box but still not the same as the guv'

10. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

Last Saturday I finished up a build of a Guv'nor from the pcb available from tonepad. I increased the value of two coupling caps for a little more thump. I actually finished it just in time to pack it up for a gig, where it kicked my crunch box out of my solo loop!

The crunch box is based on the guvnor and I've used one for years. I wanted to try the guvnor because of the three band eq.

Interestingly enough, I've seen a schematic of the Drivemaster that was done on a retrace of the actual components of an original Drivemaster. It was the exact same as the Guv'nor, except for a different value volume pot, and the addition of a 1M resistor in parallel with the last 470 pf cap. I put the resistor on a switch, and found that it made the pedal a little fatter. I'm gonna try the different put this weekend.

I know this is a little long, but I thought the Guv'nor sounded fantastic as a solo pedal with my plexi. I've tried many to replace the Crunch Box, and this one did.

11. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

Resurrecting to ask if anyone is still making a great clone of the original Guv'nor

12. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Here you go:
    http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/byoc-chancellor-pre-built-pedal

I built a GGG Guv'nor and then replaced a few parts (maybe three or four cap/resistor values) to match the specs of the BYOC version.
    Sounded much better after I did that.

The case is probably unfinished, but I've heard nothing but good things about Axe and You Shall Receive's service.

13. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the original Guv. I've had several over the years and have two mint in box ones that I'm keeping.
    I think the Suhr Riot is a very good replacement, but I agree with Troy T. There's just something about the Guv that they got right.

14. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

The riot has more gain though... closer to the amount like on crunchbox?

15. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I love my original Guv'nor, but I didn't bond with the Riot when I had it.

16. papersun

papersun Member

Off the top of my head, the Danelectro Daddy-O Distortion.

17. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

Wish I had the time or know-how to build my own. I had a guv'nor probably 25-30 years ago. Never should have let it go. Was just curious if anyone was putting out a good clone

18. Ro S

Ro S Member

Yep, this. The Daddy-O is a Guv'nor variant.

The Marshall Drivemaster is apparently the same as the Guvnor.