Marshall Guys - Post Your Top Three Favorite Boutique Amplifiers

vspeedwell

Absolutely wrong! The MGL50 is far different than a 2204, not even close!
What's different? I thought it was a tweaked version of Germino's mm50 model, which is a 2204. Wasn't his first version even called an mgl55 or something and it was a limited run of 20 or so? I just read a thread about it from around 2015 I think...maybe 2017?

Elmwood Modena m60
Diezel vh4
Soldano slo

Honorable mention:
Mojave scorpion
Reeves custom 50
Bogner goldfinger
Metropoulos super plex
Friedman dirty Shirley

I’ve played all these amps but the only ones I’ve owned are the Elmwood, Mojave and reeves. I still own the Elmwood and probably will till I die. Sorry I got rid of the reeves though cuz it took pedals better than any amp I’ve ever owned. The Mojave had a great lead sound but you needed to crank the volume a good bit for it to really open up. The Elmwood does it all brilliantly and has a great master volume.

markguitar

Silver Supporting Member
What's different? I thought it was a tweaked version of Germino's mm50 model, which is a 2204. Wasn't his first version even called an mgl55 or something and it was a limited run of 20 or so? I just read a thread about it from around 2015 I think...maybe 2017?
The Germino amp I did with Greg was great and was a stock 2204 circuit. Both of my MGL50’s are modded hybrid circuits with ingredients from Plexi, metal panel and JCM800 eras. So much different amps. NOS mustard caps in the first 2 positions, Merren Plexi output transformer, MGL spec custom wound Dagnall power transformer & choke, NOS tube compliment with Siemens EL34’s and original square getter Chinese 12AX7 preamp tubes, Metropoulos “Zero Loss” FX loop. More info and demos available on the MGL AmpWorks site.

jdsgilmour

Suffering from chronic gearitis
Platinum Supporting Member
Currently:

Aiken Intuder (30 watt) - Ol' Faithful since about 2005!
3Monkeys Virgil
Mojave Plexi 45 (JTM 45 with MORE)

Honorable mentions:

Komet Concorde
Bogner Helios

nbessie1

Platinum Supporting Member
Three favorite "boutique" amps I currently own (with a few honorable mentions :D):

Carlson Turbo Pup (1999)
JCA GR 1.6 (#1)
Mark Kane Kanewreck (Trainwreck) Rocket

Honorable mentions to:
Black Volt Hawk (2021)..but only after I upgraded the tubes (NOS RCA 6V6/12AX7), speaker wire (Evidence Audio Siren II), and the speaker (10" Celestion Gold).
Benson Vinny

Overall best amp in the house though is an early 1960 (some 1959 parts) Gibson GA-18 :D

Sorry, I guess none of those above are really Marshall-type amps...
(I have a 1977 Marshall JMP 50w Lead Master Volume combo that's pretty awesome but no "boutique" Marshall-style amps).

Last edited:

rykus

Gold Supporting Member
Out of the ones I've owned I would say.

1 Komet KF50- this thing rips heads and sounds like the sweetest fattest plexi ever that gets the goods way lower on the dial and is way richer and fuller in every way. Just an amazing amp!

2 Morgan PX50- Clone of a Dumble modded MK2 master Marshall. The one input is like the perfect plexi, bit fatter cleans from 6550 tubes and Dumble magic dust it is unreal amp even on that channel BUT it has a second channel that is like a hot rodded JCM , tight bass, crazy gain just an 80s metal monster! Love it

3 I don't have a third yet but I guess my Kanewreck Rocket or my old Carol Ann OD2-r both are similar but not... even my Sebago modded Twin gets a bit Marshally up loud but none really are Marshall based I just like them and am mostly a Marshall amp guy. (I've owned 10+ Marshall's easy)

skhan007

Really tough, but I’d say…

Komet -K60
Suhr -SL67
Bad Cat -Hot Cat

These are Marshall-esqe

Last edited:

joebloggs13

Elmwood Modena m60
Diezel vh4
Soldano slo

Honorable mention:
Mojave scorpion
Reeves custom 50
Bogner goldfinger
Metropoulos super plex
Friedman dirty Shirley

I’ve played all these amps but the only ones I’ve owned are the Elmwood, Mojave and reeves. I still own the Elmwood and probably will till I die. Sorry I got rid of the reeves though cuz it took pedals better than any amp I’ve ever owned. The Mojave had a great lead sound but you needed to crank the volume a good bit for it to really open up. The Elmwood does it all brilliantly and has a great master volume.
Agree with you about the Reeves. I have a Custom 50 with a 2x12 loaded with Celestion Creambacks...it's the best pedal platform amp I have ever played.

EDIT....I also own a Louis Electric Columbia and a Carr Telstar.

Last edited:

motokev

Post Your Top Three Favorite Boutique Amplifiers

I've owned many over the years.

-Carr Mercury V
-TK Metropolitan
-Fender Vibro King

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
EwAiGU0.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom