marshall haze 40watt yes or no

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bugman, Sep 7, 2009.

1. paults

paults Member

I tried one today that sounded dark and muffled, with none of the "instant gratification" Jubilee liquid singing distortion I'm used to hearing.

But, dull and lifeless can mean cold biasing, and or less than awe-inspiring tubes.

Has anyone tried to dial in the tubes?

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

guy is looking for a 40ish watt amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and sounds decent.

Give the Egnater a shot.

3. melody maker

melody maker Member

boy! this is a tough room! I played one today for an hour or so at my local g/c and loved it. I've been playing through a '70s deluxe since it was new, and never really liked it. I had it black-faced, installed a weber Californian and still hate the tone, its too damn loud. I just hate it. anyway, I compared the haze with a vox ac15 and a fender prosonic. the cleans were crisp and chimey and the overdrive was just what i expected from a marshall. the vox was ****. muddy, muffled and no channel switching, the fender was too loud. oh and the clerk asked me to turn down (fist time for that. however, the reliability could be an issue. I read several reviews on musicians friend which told of blown transformers and tubes. they have a used hughs & kettner 25th anniversary for the same price any thoughts?

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Eh, this video sounds pretty good. Doesn't seem like a total box a crap like some are describing it (most admittedly only playing it in a GC at low volumes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmFTqEbcIx0

Seems like a decent EL34 based grab and go amp. Any more opinions from people who actually own one? Is the above clip not a good representation of how it really sounds?

The drive channels certainly seem more useful then my HRDx and the cleans are decent.

5. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Same as my experience. It sounds great to me, but the quality issues that people are having with them is keeping me away.

6. The Captain

The Captain Member

Close. I bought one for a buddy for Xmas and played it for a few days at home. LIke all MV amps, if the gain is up and the MV is down, it's gonna sound a bit buzzy and mushy. But the funny thing about gain knobs, is that you can turn them both ways.
    Anyway, I really liked it, and thought the clean was great. I have a Bad Cat HC 30 and it stood up against that. The OD is the typical MArshall roar. My buddy has a nice Les Paul BFG and the combincation produced a righteous roar.
    I can understand the reservations about quality and failures, but you get what you pay for and these thigns are cheap even here in Oz.
    The speaker is fine too, a Celestion with a nice classic voicing.
    He is a very happy camper.

7. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I found the speaker pretty nice as well.
    It has a nice full mid voicing (not scooped) and the highs are not harsh.

8. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

I got to try one for the first time today, I gotta be honest, I loved it. I cranked the eq and drive controls, and loved the clean and dirt channels. I guess I have horrible taste or something. I think I'm gonna get one to try for a while.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I didn't read the entire 4 pages of replies... but I tried one. It's OK. The onboard effects sound like shiite. I don't think I'd spend the cash on one.

NOW... if they could find a balance between the Haze and the Class 5. Maybe build a "Class 10 Haze" with a 12" or 2x10" and it be UK built? I'd buy that for $500+!!!

10. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I couldn't resist and bought one. Used it at a gig and it sounded great. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The boost switch engaged makes me love that dirty channel...thick as molasses.

11. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

One of the worst Marshall amps, ever IMO.

I plugged in and 20 seconds later I was done. Thats never happened before.

12. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

I wasn't too thrilled by the amp either. I had really high hopes for it as well, judging by some of the higher gain YouTube clips. I think one of the problems was that the speaker in the combo just couldn't deal with the amp! It was buzzing and clipping (bad clipping that is)... I guess at lower volumes, you could dial in a decent sound but still... I was going to get one as a small 'take around' amp... I guess I'm going to go with the ENGL Raider 100.

13. Guitar_Dude

Guitar_Dude Member

:bong

14. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

20 seconds...great review!

It's not a high gain amp...more or a 70's type voicing with more gain.
    I had it turned up to half with a hard hitting drummer and it was fine, the speaker doesn't give out.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  15. joshua1

joshua1 Member

My friend played one this weekend, and it was one of the best sounding amps i have heared. I have B-52 AC112 and i love it and have grown with it. But the Marshell Haze had me re-thinking and maybe getting one. I liked it, but the reviews are killing it. I say play it, if you can and see for yourself.

16. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I knew tere'd be someone who said that, but seriously it was that non thrilling. IMO the amp is just ok

17. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Nevermind the reviews, it's a great sounding amp!

18. fritzreiser

fritzreiser Member

I haven't played one yet. However, if Randy Van Sykes says it is good amp, I believe it. That guy knows tone.

I still have sweet dreams thinking of that Traynor YCV-50 clip he did. :)

19. jmoose

jmoose Member

I see the combo as Marshalls answer to the Fender hot rods or the PV classic 50.

I've played through 'em a handful of times now. Nothing amazing, but its a solid piece. If you can't do a gig with a Haze combo then you can't gig.

Cleans are decent... dirt is fine... more "rock" voiced... it won't do the modern metal thing but I'm cool with that. The FX are so-so... delays & reverb were fine but the vibe is really more of a phaser & nothing I liked. But not bad for "free" really.

I like the combo a lot more then the head. The head has a mushy response and wasn't very loud... at least, that was the one I tried. But the combo was money if you need that sorta "grab & go" rig.

Its actually become my new "lo-fi" guitar store tryout amp. If I walk into a shop & there's nothing I want to plug into as a first choice but I see a Haze combo... that's my amp!

20. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Just an observation...I've known a few amps that needed break-in time & this was not only the speaker. And I've never really had good experiences trying amps in a store.

Seems unfair to any amp to try one that is brand new without giving it some time....and 20 secs. :messedup