• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall History Help

bbe_rev

I purchased a 100 watt Marshall head, brand new, from Guitar Center in San Francisco in the spring of 1980. I loved that amp, but sold it like an idiot 4 or 5 years later to buy pants or something. It had the two big rocker switches, and 2 vertical inputs, any idea what model it was?

Thanks

bbe_rev

It must have had a master because I can remember playing late into the night in the garage while the family slept.

bbe_rev

2203, super, thank you.

Is there a current day clone equivalent, or is the Marshall JCM800 2203 Vintage Series 100W Tube Head (I just looked that up) the way to go if I want to relive the glory days?

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
2203, super, thank you.

Is there a current day clone equivalent, or is the Marshall JCM800 2203 Vintage Series 100W Tube Head (I just looked that up) the way to go if I want to relive the glory days?
The amp you had was a late JMP 2203. If you're looking to relieve the old days and aren't looking for any added functionality in particular, just get an old JMP 2203 (100 watts, 2 inputs). An early JCM 800 2203 would be similar, but the plate voltages are slightly different and would be something you could likely notice (again, not a huge difference and you might prefer the 800's harder edge). I would avoid the reissues unless you need a loop since those sound noticeably different (and imho worse than a JMP 2203, and even an original, early JCM 800). Also, an original JMP 2203 would likely be cheaper, and would likely appreciate.

Edit - but get a Mesa/Boogie instead (Mark III). :)

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Respectfully, Deux, I gotta disagree. While a Mk III is a GREAT amp, every bit the equal of the Marshall in the pantheon of amplifiers, the one sound it doesn't do a great job of is that Marshall crunch and kerrang! If the OPs heart is set on a Marshall, that's the only thing that will fill the bill. I definitely agree with you about buying a vintage one, though: cheaper, better built and better sounding than the reissues...

bbe_rev

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. I definitely like the kerrang, so maybe I'll try and track one down.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom