Marshall HW cab very thin and boxy sounding

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Burst59, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I bought a Marshall HW straight cab a while ago and pulled it out to use with my Jubilee and I noticed it's very thin and boxy sounding compared to my Bogner and old 68 slant and Glaswerks 2x12.
    This cab comes with the 30 watt green backs which are not fully broken in yet.
    So I'm wondering is it the cab or the speakers? I would like to hear from some HW owners that have the 30 watt GB's in them.
    I have some Lynchbacks on the way and would like to load them into the Marshall unless the cab is just a thin sounding cab.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Along with volume/breaking in, I think I'd pull the back and see if it is wired correctly. Could be out of phase. This cab should not sound thin at all.

3. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I might have done that I flipped the back around so the jack is closer to the head. I might have done something wrong.

4. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

The cab should not be thin sounding. It can be a little brash in the high end until the speakers break in. I had two of these and still own one. It is a great sounding cab to my ears. I definitely think it sounds best with marshall style amps myself, but i had great sounds with a bad cat hot cat 100, a SLO, several super leads, a DR Z remedy, and still use it with my trainwreck express.
    love that cab. maybe check that someone hasn't tried to re wire it to sell it, and wired the speakers out of phase. the speakers should be soldered.

5. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

To echo the others - open it up and check the wiring, most likely a phase issue. I assume its wired in series, people often improperly wire speakers in series.

6. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Is this a 4x12 or 2x12? Also, lots of Marshall cabs out there advertised as HW...I have a 2061 CX and 1960AX myself, what's your model?

Also, if you're playing in a basement or small room and you're used to open backs, a closed back will definately sound different. More urgent and less big and round. Further, if you are trying to open up a Jubillee 50W, you won't get there without probably blowing a pair of 30W speakers.

7. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Ok there was an extra wire in there on the bottom speaker. The cab should be wired in series/parallel like this:

[​IMG]

8. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
  9. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

that looks right to me. could be a different sound than you are used to. Not like a V-30 or anything.
    Oops, i thought it was the OP cab.

10. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

I've got the same cab, and it shouldn't sound thin. Double check the wiring and verify the wiring to see if things are ok there.

11. jpage

jpage Member

I agree with everyone else--something is wrong.

12. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I wired it like yours and it sounds great now. There was an extra wire in there. Tons of low end. Not sure if I like the speakers they definitely need breaking in but the low end is back. Thanks!

13. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Are the G12H30 55Hz speakers what hendrix used? With the 55Hz bass resonance cones, it'd probly make strats and tele's sound big.

14. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Yes those were the black backs. I have a quad of those from 71.

15. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

When I had my HW 4x12, which fell victim to my downsizing effort, I left the G12H-30's (55hz) on the bottom and put G12m-25's on top.

Killer man, killer...

16. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    They have a flat sounding eq curve meaning they dont accentuate any one frequency like say a v30.