• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall in a box - best low gain sounds?

johnh

I've been through a bunch of MIAB pedals, and the best low gain, just breaking-up tones come from my Rockett Animal and my OCD. I like plenty of others, but those two have the best low gain sounds. I also owned a BOR which did low gain real well.

The KOTB, Reezafratzitz etc are excellent pedals, but are better for mid to higher gained Plexi tones IMO.

jgyn

As mentioned earlier,
Zvex BOR or Distortron for JTM45

and now,

Catalinbread DLS Mk II Super Bass for Super Bass or Super Lead sounds.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have the new King of the Britains Mk3 and I think it does a great job at lower gain tones as well as higher gain. I have had most of the usual suspects, and it is my favorite to date for Marshall in a box.

ftgjr

I enjoy my MI effects Crunch Box. It can do everything from heavy distortion to a nice boost.

McShred

Silver Supporting Member
Box of Rock for JTM 45..... without question

For Plexi - Menatone KOB, Bogner Blue, Carl Martin Plexitone

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
For me, it's been the DLS Mk.I and the Box of Rock. The Albion and the Marvel Drive were pretty good at low gain too.

jgyn

Just played through a Manlay The Sound overdrive and it was excellent at low gain, Marshall Plexi on '5' sounds.

I didn't think that the CM Plexitone did low gain well. Is this incorrect? I thought it was more for that cranked Marshall tone.
Depends which one... The newer single channel (gold) ones, yes, more of a high gain pedal.

I have the original big black box 2 channel version. The crunch channel gives you a great low gain Malcolm Young tone, and the high gain channel does what the single channel one does. Plus, it has a 20 dB boost too, you can use it for a pure volume boost if running into a very clean amp channel, or to kick your amp into (more) overdrive if you are already running it at edge of breakup.

Very versatile and convincing pedal!

Cheers TRJB

tubekingsley

For low-ish gain Plexi tone, I like Greer Amps Little Sampson. It will also get fairly heavy, but I leave Ampteaker BigRock Pro set for that.

soulohio

I enjoy my MI effects Crunch Box. It can do everything from heavy distortion to a nice boost.
i agree.. i contemplate taking mine off the board but man, it is simple and sounds great... more Plexi to my ears..

bernm

Just to add to some of the replies, the Smiletone Governor's Blues is a dual pedal with straight-up clones of the original Gov'nor and Bluesbreaker. Pretty good pedal for low-gain and more ...

johnh

Bogner Blue, the Wampler Plexi Drive and the Fulltone OCD are the best Marshall type pedals I've tried for low gain tones.

DaveKS

I'm running a VFE Blues King Burn into the new Lovepedal JTM 1 knob wonder. Blues King is like the preamp section, JTM is like cranking the power section. It's a unbeatable combo, each pedal works great on its own, devastating when stacked. Usually don't change JTM, changing gain on BK or boosting its output level and futzing with its EQ provides so many variants on tap.

Adsy

MI Audio super crunch box with the 0 compression setting does low gain punchy in spades

AgusAD

ZVex Distortron. It looks like a cheap BOR, but it's actually better IMO. The Subs switch really makes it fit in any amp/guitar combo. It came in really handy when gigging with an unfamiliar backline. Also, it stacks very well and responds perfectly to the vol/tone knobs, which is an essential feature for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom