Marshall in a box for Fender amps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pjrvmg, May 10, 2019.

1. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

The DD and DDSS fall short as far as high gain JCM vibe. But great for low to mid gain tones. For me the the Small Fry with the Dynamics knob off nails the JCM high gain through Fender cleans. The dynamics knob is where the Dumble sounds begin.

Pjrvmg likes this.
  2. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I must admit you gotta have a high output bridge humbucker with light gauge strings to get that sound with the Small Fry into a Fender amp. It's simple... neck pup low output (6.8) with 1 meg ohm volume pot. My bridge is 16.5. Neck for cleans bridge for dirty volumes knobs always on 10.

If you handed me a stock Strat with 11's there is no way in hell.

Pjrvmg likes this.
  3. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

The Gunslinger delivers a very saturated Marshall Tone, but it just does not clean up very well. For me it's an overly processed and compressed sound most of the time. It almost sounds like an older digital simulation of a JCM 800 or 900. And 99% of the time I'm looking for a more open and natural-sounding Plexi tone.

I just compared my Gunslinger to my Caline Orange Burst and even at the lowest possible gain setting the Gunslinger is at the gain level (and far more compressed) than the Orange Burst with its gain at 1:00. Overall I have to say that strongly prefer the Orange Burst for the type and range of Plexi tones I'm looking for. Not bad for a pedal that I got for $10 used! My Barber Direct Drive 3 is definitely better and more versatile than the Orange Burst (especially when it is running at 18V), but damn the Orange Burst is a GREAT super-cheap MIAB pedal for lower and medium gain plexi tones.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Pjrvmg likes this.
  4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Had them. Barber DDC beats them.

adamagain and Pjrvmg like this.
  5. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

In my opinion, Menatone's latest version of The King, is one of the best (if not the best) sounding, and most versatile MIAB available. I even asked Brian Mena what Type of amp he uses for developing his pedals, and he said Fender. He named it "The King," for good reason.

hudpucker, presence and Pjrvmg like this.
  6. LR1400

LR1400 Member

I have a KOTB, it does Marshall pretty well. It doesn’t sound just like amp distortion but it works fine for that sound. It doesn’t feel like amp distortion.

Makes sense it is voiced with fender.

I don’t like it into a marshall.

Pjrvmg likes this.
  7. Pjrvmg

Pjrvmg Member

Quick update: Despite leaning towards the Blackstone, I just ordered a Compact Direct Drive from Dave at Barber. There are so many I want to and will try—the Lovepedal, Blackstone, Carl Martin especially—But as I have so many Lovepedals already and the CDD is priced so well on his site, I figured this was a great place to start. Thanks all!!

AceBSpankin, SlyStrat and adamagain like this.
  8. Pjrvmg

Pjrvmg Member

Just bought one in Black!

adamagain, AceBSpankin and Pazz like this.
  9. Pjrvmg

Pjrvmg Member

I have an Amp 11 that will never leave my board, and it has the COT boost on it as well. Love it! I will pick up a purple plexi when one shows up on reverb

AceBSpankin likes this.
  10. Pjrvmg

Pjrvmg Member

I had never heard of this! Pedals that capture the right feel are few, I want to try that one someday soon.

11. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

Mr Black BB-74x is a great cheap option
    I love Kingsley Jouster and Revival Drive also

12. Kid Casseroli

Kid Casseroli Member

To whom it may concern: Enjoyed the demo. Good playing and good entertainment as well.
    The TS9 into the Joyo contributes a lot to achieve a convincing tone.

3:35: "And keep in mind I'm using a Strat..."
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

4:10: "According to Tech21's manual, the character knob at 12 o'lock should bring us into Plexi territory.

A Tech 21 manual comes with the Joyo British Sound? Cool.

:sarcasm

13. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

You definitely need too if it's the sound you're looking for

14. Gretsch>Vox

Gretsch>Vox Member

I was never satisfied with any pedal thru blackface fender trying to get a Marshall sound.
    Closest with one pedal was a wampler pinnacle. Still was never happy.
    Got rid of my blackface. Great cleans, good with mild OD but never liked it for anything beyond that.

15. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Snouse Black Box
    Rockett 45 Caliber

ChampReverb likes this.
  16. _____

_____ Member

I've seen several mention of the purple plexi, but the Lovepedal Vintage Modern is a PP on one side and a COT 50 on the other.

It's phenomenal for many different eras of Marshall goodness through a hotrod deluxe.

I don't know how he packs that much tone into that low of a price point.

Seriously for everything that isn't 'metal' it's amazing, throw a tubescreamer and you get metal.

But for 80s metal in a single pedal I prefer the weebho JVM.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  17. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

18. JSmick

JSmick Member

I would second this! I have a real '68 DR and changed out the speaker. Upon the recommendation of the Tone Quest Report, I replaced my original speaker with the Hellatone/Celestion G12H30 and it made a huge difference. I got a minty almost-new one for $75 shipped off ebay. I play in a cover band so we do everything Motown to Pearl Jam. It is a little bit more mid focused and starts to growl nicely when pushed, but still retains the Blackface fender clarity when needed.

BMX likes this.
  19. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

I have to say that, after owning an original Direct Drive (which I love!) and a couple other pedals mentioned here, Menatone KOTB, Wampler PlexiDrive Deluxe, etc.. AND owning a 74 Superlead, a Splawn Quickrod, a Marshall 2210 and 6100, and a Tone King Majesty/Royalist; the Direct Drive is NOT "plexi."

The Direct Drive seems to be way more TS than Plexi, it lacks the top end of a plexi. I had to stack it into a Menatone Red Snapper to get enough top end to have the Marshall aggression. Those 2 pedals worked GREAT together by the way!

Ultimately I moved away from BF-styled amps; I'm in a band with a dense bass and keyboard mix, so the Marshall style amps, especially their cleans, work best in my band! And the clean having a band-friendly mix, meant the OD pedals didn't need to manipulate the EQ as much. Menatone KOTB and Red Snapper work VERY well in my rig! Another pedal that works well, but you need to EQ the amp for it, is the Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor. H&K were onto something with that bad boy, but in my opinion, faltered badly with the omission of EQ controls.

My honest suggestion would be to try the Kingsley stuff, but you'll be waiting a bit for one of their pedals....

presence likes this.
  20. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I did a video of using a Pinnacle Deluxe V2 into a Fender Blues Jr vIII on my YT channel. I'll let the viewers decide as to how well it did but the specific focus was trying to find out if you could coax Marshall tones out of Fender amp.
    My channel info is in my sig and the vid title is Fender Blues Jr Marshall Tone with Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe?
    I did the vid in March so it's recent. I'll provide the link if you are interested and can't find it.