• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall is where it's at .. Tone!!

00JETT

Just do your homework before your buy a 76. There were 2 versions of the master volume 2204 circuit in 1976. One that was liked a lot and the other not so much. The one that stayed was the same as the master volume 2203.

Last edited:

Miles Long

Just do your homework before your buy a 76. There were 2 versions of the master volume 2204 circuit in 1976. One that was liked a lot and the other not so much. The one that stayed was the same as the master volume 2203.
The 76 with the toggles was the desirable one I believe ..

00JETT

Best way to know for sure though is to have the circuit guts verified. The outwards cosmetic changes are not always a dead ringer as to what is inside the amp as those changes were more directed as to which country the amps were being sold in. There are a bunch of 76 2204 models that were converted by tech to be the more common circuit as well.

Miles Long

Best way to know for sure though is to have the circuit guts verified. The outwards cosmetic changes are not always a dead ringer as to what is inside the amp as those changes were more directed as to which country the amps were being sold in. There are a bunch of 76 2204 models that were converted by tech to be the more common circuit as well.
What's a good price for a minty 76?

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I would absolutely love that tone captured in a 40lb (or less) combo I could actually carry with one hand... but while I love me a good 2204, I'm betting a lot of what we are hearing is in that 4x12.

00JETT

What's a good price for a minty 76?
Wish I could tell ya, prices seem to be a lot different here in Canada, our dollar sucks for buying right now. Old Marshalls tend to fluctuate depending on how many are on the market too

Dashface

This video made me rethink about all the boutique choices out there .. Now to find a clean 76 jmp 50 watter ..
That's the video that made me buy one - a 1980 50w.

Turns out in person I didn't like it much.

But that video really does kick butt.

Polvo

Great amps, I like 2203s a bit more, but anyway 76,77s are killer master volume amps. The early 76 50 watters didn't have a cascaded preamp and were wired like the non master volume amps of that time, one way to tell is plug in to one input and stick a patch cable in the other if there is sound it's not cascaded, if no sound its cascaded,(the one you want)

teleluvver

That's the video that made me buy one - a 1980 50w.

Turns out in person I didn't like it much.

But that video really does kick butt.
This video inspired me as well, and I ended up getting a '78 JMP 2204. The '78 has the cascading gain circuit, whereas most '76s don't (so the '76s don't gain up as much). Either way, they're beautiful sounding amps, but I'll probably end up selling mine because of the low volume gigging world that we now live in. I don't want to sell it, but it's tough for me to keep gear that doesn't get used enough. By the way, last year I located the guy in the video, and he messaged me on Facebook and gave me a rundown of his current rig and guitar setup. He now plays a 100 watt '73 Marshall Superbass through a 2x12.

Dashface

What didn't you like about it ? Was it modded ??
No, it was in fantastic condition. In the end it just didn't work for me in a gigging situation. It sounded godly with just a Les Paul straight in - but anything more complex than that didn't work.

Plus, there was the same little problem I always run into, which was that it sounded fantastic... Until I played one of my Hiwatts next to it. I sold it the next day :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom