Marshall JCM 2000 50 or 100 watt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I play in a cover band doing all types of music. I'm always trying different amps and currently use a Mesa F-50 head. I love this amp but I'm not sure it exactly suits my band. I am thinking of trying one of the Marshall DSL 2000's. Is there any difference in tone between the 50 and 100 watt? I will be using in a 2x12 or 4x12 cab and it will be miced at most shows. I would lean towards the 50 because I don't think I need any more power than that. Anyone got advice?

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Only difference between the DSL50 and DSL100 is 2 power tubes. I have heard some people like the 100Watt better and others like the 50Watt better. Typically the 100Watt amps will have more clean headroom and sound a bit bigger/bolder.

If you find the F-50 to have enough headroom, than get the 50Watt, if you need more than get the 100Watt.

Have you thought of getting a pedal to use with the F-50 to give you some marshall flavor, something like a MI audio Crunchbox?

Marshall has has a 2 channel JVM that you might want to check out. The DSL/TSL amps have been discontinued and replaced by the JVM series....

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Could also consider replacing the speaker in that Mesa.

4. mims2

mims2 Member

I actually use the Mesa with speaker cabs so I try different speakers.

5. CaptainJake

CaptainJake Member

If you get one, upgrade the OT with a Mercury Magnetics... this is the only way you can get those to sound good, in my opinion.

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i plugged into one i borrowed for a gig once (50w dsl) i thought i was playing through a 100w version for a while until he told me......for what its worth i thought it sounded better than the 100w dsl i had previously played in a rehearsal room...it was warm and meaty