• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall JCM 800 2203 - very trebly?

Cussion

I'm using an old (brown grillcloth) 2203 head into a Celestion G12-65 loaded 4x12 cabinet, and I do love the sound and feel of that amp. But, sometimes I do feel that the treble is VERY piercing when playing stuff on the high E and B strings. Still the Treble is on 9 'o clock and the Prescence is on zero. It might just be the fact that the amp is extremely loud, and the issue is actually volume, cause I don't experience this on low volume settings. But, is there anyone else experiencing the same thing? What can be done about it?

nickthenail

Backing off on the guitar's tone control helps quite a bit.
And also, when playing with a whole group I don't feel it in such extreme way.
Agreed. Still, I'm surprised to hear you're experiencing this at higher volume. Brightness (along with thinness) is usually a complaint at low master volume.

Cussion

Agreed. Still, I'm surprised to hear you're experiencing this at higher volume. Brightness (along with thinness) is usually a complaint at low master volume.
Maybe it's the power and volume of 100 watts of EL34 power, but bending on the high E and B strings is sometimes like daggers into my ears.

Fretsalot

If your highs are shrill, double-check the set-up & intonation on your guitar. I used to pay to have my guitars set-up, but in the last year taught myself to set-up my own guitars. I cured the shrillness past the 10th frets (B&E strings) on my Norlin era LP Custom by using my then newly acquired Turbo Tuner to intonate my guitar as best as I could, particularly after I had changed the 300K pots to 500K. That LP intonation definitely needed some tweaking - not a little, not a bunch, but measurable. Took the shrillness out of it, and my tone knob on my guitar was much more functional. I could hear the shrillness at the higher frets when playing intervals of thirds, fifths, etc.

Fretsalot/Scott

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
As previously mentioned, experiment with lifting the bright cap on the volume control...a VERY common thing to do and it works for many.

AlexF

Only effective for lower volume application. He's experiencing it at higher volume.
its on the gain control, not the volume control. If the gain is below 8, the bright cap is doing its nasty business. If cutting that isnt enough, there is a resistor/cap pair which connects the input socket to the circuit board, cut that pair out and replace with a 68K resistor, that's another treble peaking circuit gone. Between those 2 simple mods, the horrid brightness will be gone.

Schafrocks

I'm using an old (brown grillcloth) 2203 head into a Celestion G12-65 loaded 4x12 cabinet, and I do love the sound and feel of that amp. But, sometimes I do feel that the treble is VERY piercing when playing stuff on the high E and B strings. Still the Treble is on 9 'o clock and the Prescence is on zero. It might just be the fact that the amp is extremely loud, and the issue is actually volume, cause I don't experience this on low volume settings. But, is there anyone else experiencing the same thing? What can be done about it?
Maybe something is wrong with the amp. Especially with the 65's. The 65's have a sweet high end. If the amp is working properly and you have the treble and presence turned that low with those speakers, you probably own the wrong amp. I run the presence pretty low on mine (2) but run the treble at noon. Nothing horrid about those highs. As a matter of fact, it sounds badass.

I prefer the amp with the bright cap. It does change the way it sounds at higher volumes. So I would leave it where you could put it back if needed. You never said where the other controls are. I run everything about noon (bass a little higher) except the presence at 2. And it should actually sound less trebally when turned up. Something doesn't sound right about this situation.

bluesoul

My mower did not want to start...the repair guy told me it was out of gas. I put gas in it and it started. Turn the treble down!
And yes clipping the bright cap out, applies at lower volumes...won't matter at higher volumes.

jchan

Those speakers should not be that bright. You may want to have an amp tech look at the amp. That doesn't sound right to me. I have that amp and it isn't overly bright to me. I'm using it with a 4x12 with Greenbacks.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Remove the bright cap.
No really, remove the bright cap.
If that cuts too much highs, experiment with a 500pf, 250pf & 100pf.
I have a '80 JMP 2203 that was WAY bright, and wound up liking a 250pf bright cap best.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
For my '83 2204, I run the gain higher and use my guitar volume backed off. This gives me moderate gain while sounding as full and thick as the amp can be. Raising the preamp volume not only adds gain, but adds fullness to the tone. Which is why I back off the guitar volume control. I have never had a need to remove the brite cap this way.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
I ran mine with about everything on 7. Takes out what I call "that sting" presence above that , it will sting ya.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom