Marshall jcm 800 bass series 1935a project beyond repair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thehta, Feb 9, 2015.

1. thehta

thehta Member

I was given an incredibly beaten up old Marshall cab recently when I found someone was going to throw it away. It's a JCM 800 bass series 1935a with cream back G 12 65s.

Two of the speakers seem to have ripped cones.
    The tolex is torn badly.
    The front grille cloth is torn.
    There appears to be no jack socket at the back.

Is there any point in even trying to repair it, would it cost way more than it is worth/ would cost to replace?

Would it be wiser to simply salvage the working speakers for a project at a later date?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

If you need a beater cab, just strip the tolex, and cut away loose grill cloth, if it is a problem.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Just cut away or glue down the loose ends. Pull the ripped speakers and have them reconed. It's a great cab for a beater!

4. thehta

thehta Member

bigtone and amphog; sorry for my obvious ignorance but what's a 'beater' cab??

5. woof*

woof* Member

A cab you can just toss in the back of the truck and not worry about it getting torn up.

6. thehta

thehta Member

ok great, thanks!

so if i strip everything down and clean it up and find i'm liking the sound of it, how much hassle would it be to retolex it?

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

8. Govan

Govan Member

Yeah, I saw that tutorial,that guy did a great job!!! the corners are the hard part but he walks you through it. Piping is, well take yer time it's not that bad. A sharp (new) utility knife blade is definately a plus! Ihave built several cabs, but I allways use metal corners so the tolex gets covered. You can do it!!![​IMG]

9. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

You may even be able to salvage those speakers without a recone. If the rips aren't too bad, you could try fixing them with some TP and white glue or stuff called tear mender: http://www.tearmender.com

I repaired cone tears in a couple of Celestion G12K100s with one ply of TP and the tear mender stuff. Worked great!