Marshall JCM 900 SL-X, Your Opinions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrecoVee, May 2, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

What do you think of these heads?
    The first version with the EL-34 tubes (because I heard they sound better) not the 5881's
    50 and 100 watt heads.
    Anything like a JMP MV or 800 MV? but with more gain?
    Any opinions or comments? Thanks!:munch

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Its one of my favorite amps. I had one about two years ago and stupidly sold it in a fit of gas (I went through a period where I thought I was SRV, LOL). It has a footswitchable master, you can set A for a volume level and B for a seperate Volume level that is footswitchable. The amp I owned was very toneful, think UFO thin lizzy etc. On the PCB it said JMP-50, and had Drake transformers. Never used the FX loop so I cant comment on that, but I ran pedals in front and it loved them.

There are alot of folks that hate anything JCM 900, I have to say that the true test is "If it sounds good, then its good". Dont let hype drive you away from tone.

Here is a clip of Trower playing a 4100.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Classic Marshall amp, IMO!

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

very very cool amp,one of the best they have made IMO...the SLX is the one i played in my old rehearsal room w/ a greenie loaded cab...just make sure not to max both of those gains out that's where it gets mushy other wise a top notch 1 channel amp w/ foot switch for the pseudo 2nd channel vol boost

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The SL-X with EL-34s is one of the better modern Marshall amps out there. I wouldn't mind grabbing one myself, so yes, I like them :)

6. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Thanks for the opinions guys!:AOK