• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall JCM 900 SL-X ?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Thinking about getting one of these. I play in a Classic Rock Cover band (Johnny Cash to Metallica).
I currently use a Marshall JCM800 channel switcher.
I usually only use the gain channel and ajdust my guitar volume knob for clean tones.

Is the JCM900 SL-X a good amp for classic rock?

jboyjams

Not sure about that model - but my JCM 900 (4502) 50 watt 2x12 combo served me well gigging for 19 years - great amp but I liked it best cranking the rhythm channel. We played a wide variety from Allman Brothers to Jimi and Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Janis, ZZ Top, Stones, etc. I plugged straight in using Gibsons and a Fender.

I heard Fogerty at one point was using a couple JCM900 heads. He is a tone king...

I think the JCM 900's are under-rated IMO.

herpnerp

It's a modded JCM 800 and shouldn't be associated with the diode clipping 900 series. The only one worth buying is the SL-X 2100 with EL34's, but it's very picky when it comes to speaker choice. Loads of clarity, great for old school shred.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
It's a modded JCM 800 and shouldn't be associated with the diode clipping 900 series. The only one worth buying is the SL-X 2100 with EL34's, but it's very picky when it comes to speaker choice. Loads of clarity, great for old school shred.
Can I turn the gain down and get standard JCM800 classic rock tones?

herpnerp

I'd say so. It's a very versatile amp that can go from smooth jazz to modern beard music if you're not careful. Cleans up nicely with a guitar volume knob adjustment.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9685098

I'm using:
JCM 900 SL-X 2100 w/ MV at ~4
[[100 watt][90s Siemens EL34s]]
16 ohm Marshall 1960a 4x12 w/ Eminence Lady Lucks
[[Cheap speakers stolen from an Epi So-Cal I sent to eBay]]
Jackson Soloist SL1
[[Dimarzio PAF Pro Bridge]]

No pedals (other than a Hardwire DL-8 Delay in FX loop), guitar is plugged straight in. No post-EQs or Ableton magic of sorts, just a Sennheiser guitar mic into a Mackie Onyx w/ firewire card.

I'm too poor for a Super Lead, but I think my eBay rig does the job. Owning a plexi is like owning a pet elephant when it comes to practicality. Master volume control sure is nice.

broken_sound

Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
Honestly it shouldn't even have jcm900 written on it. I can't stand 900's, but this is a whole different beast. Tons of gain on tap and really ballsy.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I need a backup amp for my JCM800. I don't really care for my Mesa F-50 anymore.
I'm thinking the SLX or a DSL.
I mentioned the SLX because I'm going to look at one tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I need a backup amp for my JCM800. I don't really care for my Mesa F-50 anymore.
I'm thinking the SLX or a DSL.
I mentioned the SLX because I'm going to look at one tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments.
No true clean channel on the SL-X, correct? The DSL has a dedicated clean channel. I kind of assume since it's going to be a backup to your 800 that you'd prefer the SL-X(?) I guess it depends on what you need, but both heads are usually available for a bargain.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
No true clean channel on the SL-X, correct? The DSL has a dedicated clean channel. I kind of assume since it's going to be a backup to your 800 that you'd prefer the SL-X(?) I guess it depends on what you need, but both heads are usually available for a bargain.
As I do more research I'm starting to lean toward the DSL. I like having a clean channel because of the variety of music our band plays.
My JCM800 is a two channel.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
As I do more research I'm starting to lean toward the DSL. I like having a clean channel because of the variety of music our band plays.
My JCM800 is a two channel.
Ah, gotcha. I don't know why I assumed it was the single channel variety. Yeah, if you need it to effectively serve as a backup, I'd get the one with two channels as well.

herpnerp

If variety is what you want go for the DSL. My only problem with 900s (excluding the SL-X) and 2000s is that they're a jack of all trades, master of none. The same can apply to an un-modded 800.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
If variety is what you want go for the DSL. My only problem with 900s (excluding the SL-X) and 2000s is that they're a jack of all trades, master of none. The same can apply to an un-modded 800.
I'm currently using an un-modded JCM800 and I'm very happy with it. I'm thinking that means I'll probably be happy with a DSL.

I have a DSL50 and an SLX 100 watt both available near me.
I thinking I'm going to buy one of them tomorrow but the more I research the more I'm liking the two channels on the DSL.

kfiggy

I just got a SL-X in the mail today and I am completely floored. I got it on a trade that initially I didn't have high hopes on. I am so in love with this thing right now that it has me considering selling off all of my stomp boxes. It doesn't do clean for **** but the distortion is so tight. I'll probably get an ab switch to go between this and another amp for clean. I have owned a JCM800 combo and this thing eats it for breakfast!

Soothsayer

Silver Supporting Member
I had a SL-X 2500 and it rocked, still to this day miss the amp. Sold it to fund something else, cant even remember what it was, it still miss that amp!

herpnerp

That amp was a horrible mess. The JCM800 Channel switchers own them, hard. Stick with what you have.
It's a very picky amp. I just got lucky and happened to combine my EL34 SLX with mysterious Eminence speakers to make a poor man's plexi.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom