Marshall JCM800 2210 worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Finaldo, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I'm looking for some opinions on whether you guys think it's worth hanging on to a Marshall JCM800 2210 head. I am pretty sure I'll never be gigging or using the thing, I would just be keeping it as a collector's item. I'm not really into the collector's market, so I'm not sure it's really worth keeping around. Opinions?

2. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

I don't play it I dump it!

3. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Nope. Worthless. Send it to MEEEE

4. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

How clean is it? If you don't need the money right now, wait until the market moves back up to sell.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

slap an attenuator on it and jam at bedroom levels 'till they wheel you to the nursing home.

6. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I have the 2X12 combo version 4211. Mine is from 1988 and sounds great. I use a hot plate for bedroom levels. KEEP IT!

7. bobefann

bobefann Member

the clean isn't very good in it. i wouldnt care if it were a collectors or not, if i dont play it then it has no reason to be in my house

8. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

You're a pirate... why should I trust you? :)

It's pretty clean. It has been taken care of for the most part, I don't see anything really wrong with it except a couple dings here and there. I also think it's unmodded.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Maybe put it up on eBay with a pretty high BIN, top dollar. If it sells, great! If not, hang on to it.
    Oh, and send me the footswitch. I have a 2210 and I'm keeping mine. :)

10. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Send it packing. If it has 6550's rebias it and install EL34's, then send it packing. I bought one of these about 8 months ago off a guy on craiglist for 1000.00. He had 2 of them. Didn't even try it out. Brought it home, figured at worst, I would get my money back. It had 6550's in it. I couldn't believe how bad that amp sounded. First off, the clean channel is junk. The dirty channel bleads into it. Something that people have known for years. Secondly, the 6550's didn't break up very well, and were not warm. I didn't even feel right selling it on ebay. I thought for sure I would get bad feedback. I had it rebiased and some el34's slapped into it. Much better but still crap. I a/b it will my Jubilee head, and it wasn't even close.
    IMHO the single channel jcm800 are the only ones were keeping.

11. Occam

Occam Member

I miss mine. It only had one really good sound and that was when it was completely cranked (which didn't actually bother me) but the clean was absolutely useless. I would love it for recording though.

12. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

it depends on the year. i've owned 4 of these heads. 2 of them absolutely killed, ones was so so, and the 4th totally blew. the later models seem the best with regards to channel bleed... kinda wish i still had mine but the friend i sold it to put 6550s in it and it just isn't the same anymore..

13. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

The 2210 is a great amp and please don't ruin it by using some B.S. attenuator. Get yourself a small something for kickin around the house

14. drewl

drewl Member

I used to own the 100w head version and the 50w combo.
    Both sounded good for what they are, and even though I tried several mods they are what they are which is not what what I wanted, so I ended up getting rid of them.
    They do what they do well, so I'd leave them stock and let someone else enjoy them.

15. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

The best sounding JCM800 Ive ever heard (and Ive heard many a dozen) was a ~83 2210. With 6550s no less.

That said, if you can 'afford' to keep it, you should probably do so, at least until the used market goes back up a bit. Give it another year or so.

16. djem

djem Member

I used to have a 2205 that didn't do it for me and I wasn't playing it at all. It was in mint shape, literally, with original carton. I decided to put it up on eBay. I guess my advert really stimulated some people and the amp sold for over $1,700. :crazy

I still can't believe it went for that much and I felt so relieved when it finally left.

17. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I can afford to keep it, so I guess I will hang on to it. I actually do like the way it sounds. I don't bother using the clean channel, so that's a non-issue for me really. When turned up it has good rock tone. It's just that I won't really use it, since I have an Axe-Fx, the Egnater seminar amp, a Ceriatone Overtone Special, and a Red Iron Amps T-Rex. I pretty much figure I'm done amp shopping. I think I'm even done guitar shopping, although I'd like a good strat with single coils. It feels good being 31 and not having any GAS. Also, when I do get married, looks like the marriage will go a little easier since I hopefully won't be trying to convince the wife I need new gear.

We all know I'll have GAS again at some point though... :p

18. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Arrr, ye arr wise beyond yer years, matey!

19. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

As will we all - we could all use a little of this:

[​IMG]

20. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I have an '84 4211 chassis, which is the combo version of the 2210, stuck in a normal head box on top of my stack. I love that amp!