• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall JCM800 4x12 cabinet with faded black grillecloth

dehughes

Hi all,

I have a JCM800 slant 4x12 that has brown grillecloth. My understanding is this was a run of grillecloth that was made incorrectly and was apt to fading to brown, and Marshall realized this and corrected it. Frankly I love the look, but what I'd LIKE to do is turn this slant cabinet into a straight 4x12.

I've scoured the internet and don't have much luck finding a straight JCM800 4x12 cabinet with that nice, faded, poorly made "black" grillecloth. Ideally I'd either trade mine, or just sell it and buy a straight cab, but I can't seem to find one.

Does anyone know if they even made straight 4x12s with this fade-y grillecloth?

BGReed2

Yes, it's my understanding that it was around '87 - '88 that the black grillcloth they put on the heads & cabs faded to that brown. Bad dye lot. My 1965a 4x10 looks like that, but I was told that the cab was an '84. I am sure there should be straight cabs out there somewhere, just need to keep your eyes open. Good luck!

Last edited:

BGReed2

ndj7rzJ.jpg

Would anyone out there be able to date this cab based on the serial number? It is: 353*

dehughes

Thanks for the info.

I'll try to dig up date code info on my cab and see if that'll help.

Regardless, I can't say I've seen for sale a straight, 4x12 version of my slant. I'm sure they're out there; I'll just have to keep looking.

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, it's my understanding that it was around '87 - '88 that the black grillcloth they put on the heads & cabs faded to that brown. Bad dye lot. My 1965a 4x10 looks like that, but I was told that the cab was an '84. I am sure there should be straight cabs out there somewhere, just need to keep your eyes open. Good luck!
It would seem based on my cabs that the run of that cloth was a bit earlier like 84-86. It would appear if my cabs are any indication that Marshall fixed the issue in 86 as I have three 800 cabs from 86 of which just one is faded to that brown.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
It would seem based on my cabs that the run of that cloth was a bit earlier like 84-86. It would appear if my cabs are any indication that Marshall fixed the issue in 86 as I have three 800 cabs from 86 of which just one is faded to that brown.

My buddy has an ‘86 JCM 800 that’s faded like that.

dehughes

Interesting....must be a mid-80's thing then.

I like it, personally. Best looking Marshall cabs ever, IMHO.

That said, I'll be selling my slant 4x12 soon. Hopefully I can track down a straight to replace it. Trouble is, it's hard to find ones in GOOD condition. Mine is unusually nice, but I've seen many a 4x12 that are not.

BGReed2

I'm thinking of replacing the faded grillcloth on my 1965A with checkerboard. Not that I don't care for the faded cloth, I just like the way the checkerboard stuff looks.

Blackmoreguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking of replacing the faded grillcloth on my 1965A with checkerboard. Not that I don't care for the faded cloth, I just like the way the checkerboard stuff looks.

I have a 1965B with a faded grill. I was just thinking about changing the cloth, (and maybe putting some bigger side handles on it). Do you know how you would go about getting the baffle out to change the cloth; is it just a matter of undoing a few screws?

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 1965B with a faded grill. I was just thinking about changing the cloth, (and maybe putting some bigger side handles on it). Do you know how you would go about getting the baffle out to change the cloth; is it just a matter of undoing a few screws?
Remove the speakers and handles and then remove the screws around the baffle and it should pull right out.

Top Bottom