Marshall JCM800 50 watt combo or Korg Vox AC15tb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by co-intelpro, Jan 23, 2006.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Ok, here's the deal. I can pick up an 80's Marshall JCM800 50watt combo (1x12, Canadian version, no channel switching) for $750.00 CAD, no tax, and it includes a roadcase, or a 90's Korg VOX AC15tb for $895 plus tax. Both are mint.

The guy with the Marshall wants $750, all at once, or no deal. The Vox is at a local store and I can layaway indefinitely.

I don't have $750 right now (that I can spend on an amp). Which one would you buy? Which one is the better deal?

2. rooster

rooster Member

The answer is that you don't have the $750 for the Marshall, and the Vox is not a bad little amp. In fact, IMO, it's one of the best sounding mass-produced amps out there right now. However, I gotta say I still have my 1981 JCM800 4010, and I'll probably never get rid of it, even though I don't use it anymore (I build my own, and the Marshall gets turned on periodically to keep the electrolytics running).

rooster.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The Marshall is the better deal IMO.

The Vox is a nice-sounding little amp but not all that well built really. It's also not that loud, unless you only like dirty tones (and even then, I didn't find it quite enough). It has reasonable (but not great) reverb and tremolo. It's also a total pain to change tubes on - this may not sound like a big issue now, but it will be the first time you have to... trust me.

The Marshall is built like a tank, probably loud enough for almost any gig, will take pedals well, comes with a roadcase (you'll need one for the Vox if you're going to gig it and don't want it to look tatty really quickly, the vinyl tears very easily), and if it's too loud you can always use an attenuator. It doesn't even sound too bad at low volume without.

The only thing to check is what speaker it has - the G12T-75 that some came with isn't all that great, and the G12M-70 is worse (IMO). If you get a G12-65, you're in luck. Even if not, you can always upgrade the speaker later... which you'll also want to do with the Vox if it doesn't have the Blue.

Just my opinion of course.

4. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Ya, I am inclined to believe your reasoning on this one. I did notice that the AC15 was a bit quieter. Also, I called the guy with the Marshall and he said he would hold it for me and give me time to save up...

5. morgan

morgan Guest

I think it depends on what you're trying to do. I use my ac15tbx for shows occasionally, but there isn't a ton of headroom. OTOH, it's my favorite amp ever. It sounds just divine, it's a great little package and the master volume works well. The marshall 800 combos are very nice as well (well most of them anyway, i've played some stinkers). Last year in the studio, I recorded in stereo using an 800 combo with my ac15. It sounded fantastic. very close actually, the 800 was more glassy, the ac15 more jangly and chimey. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

6. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

I know it's pc board city but;

My AC15 arrived with a BROKEN roadcase. The FedEx Ground Demons dropped it from chest height ... split the bottom of the roadcase in two, with NO internal damage to the amp and cab whatsoever. It was loaded with Military spec tubes and they all made it as well.
    I fired the amp up in front of the drivers (they sent two to deliver it, I guess they didn't want it dropped a second time :rolleyes: ...), and we were all floored. Sounded great and have had zero issues to date.
    Still waiting on the claim for the case ... :horse

In agreement here with JP, the Vox tolex is very thin, don't try scratching off any dried up "stuff" on the amp, you will be picking wood out of your fingernails.

Also, assuming that you have a PA at your disposal ... IMO an AC15 w/ Blue and a Fulltone FDII will smoke the tone of that JCM800 (metal excluded obviously), and it'll look alot cooler doing it!
    Not looking to get flamed here, but if you must ... Flame On Brothas! :FM

:BEER

7. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I used to have the Vox AC15 with the 2 x 10 setup. I had to sell it to pay my life insurance premium. Great amp but tonewise I dont think the two are comparable so you really need to decide what sound you are looking for. If its Marshall, then you will just have to keep saving. The only caveat about the Vox is its a real pain in the tuckus to change tubes. You have to remove the chassis.

8. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

There are a bazillion Marshall's floating around. You need a Marshall, you can find a Marshall, pretty much anytime.

AC15's tend to be a little harder to find. I'd grab it and see if you like it. If not, you should be able to flip it and find another Marshall without too much digging.

9. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I got an idea....How about I keep saving for the Marshall, but start paying for the vox on layaway! In the end, I will have both amps! HEHEHE...but my wife would kill me...I just bought an AC30 TBX!

The vox does not have the bluedog (but a greenback), but it is only $895 CAD...plus 7% tax.

10. bug0711

:BEER That my friend is the way it's done!

Actually, the Marshall and AC15 would make a killer dual amp rig, but since you already have the AC30 ... well I can see why you might sweat the reaction of your wife! :BITCH :D :D :D

The greenback might be cool in the Marshall and a Weber Blue would be a nice addition to the AC15! Hope that helps explain the purchase(s) to your wife!

FWIW, we're all routing for ya brother! :AOK

11. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Would a 25 watt greenback hold up to the push of the 50 watt Marshall? It has 2xEL34s. I think it has a 65 watt celestion in it right now...I dig the Greenback though, and I would rather have that in there..

12. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

VOX VOX VOX. I had one with a Blue in it. Foolishly sold it.

That Greenback will blow. Lots of other alternatives that will get that tone at higher wattage...
    EP

13. bug0711

Ahh ... my bad. I used to own and was thinking of a 2x12 800 combo. :NUTS
    In which case, the GB would be great! :rolleyes:

14. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have two blues in my VOX TBX, should I swap one with the 15's greenback? I have heard that a green and blue are a good mix of tones in an AC30...Is this a good idea? Would there be an ohm problem?

BTW, I put the Vox on layaway today...I'm dead meat when my wife sees it. Also, I am saving up for that Marshall!

15. bug0711

Depends on the ohm ratings of the spkrs. If you mix ohms you'll get one spkr drawing more power than another, which would not be good.

You can always try telling her that the AC30 splits and multiplies every two or three months or so!
    :Devil
    :Devil :Devil
    :Devil :Devil :Devil

16. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Ok, I'll tell her that Vox amps "don't die, they multiply"! Great idea!