1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall JCM800 and OD/Dist/Booster pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by El Salvador, Dec 3, 2005.

1. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

I was wondering if there are people out there who have experiences with OD/Dist/Boost pedals in front of their Marshall JCM800 using mainly a humbucker equipped instrument ;)

What i'm having now, is a Timmy, Hellbilly and a Red Snapper. At the moment I'm stacking the HB and the Timmy where the HB is in front of the Timmy. (I'm loving it!! :dude ) As the Timmy and the RS both are low-gain OD's I'd like to know how to combine all three pedals in a nice way. Or maybe you could recommend me some other pedals to switch with the RS, like more of the high gain stuff?? I'm having a ready ear for everything ;) :dude

2. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Nobody's using jcm800's with pedals anymore? :D

3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

4. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Well thanks for this very useful contribution to this thread...

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I've been on the same quest and ruled out tubescreamer type pedals. I have an '82 TS9 that I bought new then and recently bought an MI Audio Tube Zone for my 800, they just seemed to squash the dynamics and process the attack. Nice pedals for a Fender clean, though.

I bought an H&K Replifex and found that it did a great job increasing sensativity and roundness even with the delay/reverb turned all the way down. I tried to get the same effect from my H&K Tube Factor, which meant dialing it way way down to a clean boost (using the high gain setting works best). Both of the above work way better than using the Tube Zone as a clean boost. Something about pedals that run on 9 volt batteries ... seems like they don't have the dynamics to do the trick for this application.

Using the two H&K pedals together as descibed above makes for a very sensative touch and round tone that doesn't get out of control. Picking over the neck pickup adds to this effect. I'm still messing with it, but so far I'm loving my tone.

6. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

i use a JCM800 4210, which is a 2 channel 1x12 combo.

i boost the overdriven channel with a Boss SD1. It sounds a bit weak, i need something heavier. i think i need a retube, so i do some more testing with pedals after the retube.

how does the TS9 compare to the SD1 as a boost?

7. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

most people use a sd-1 or a TS...

not saying those are the best...

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

RAT - RAT - RAT... 'nuff said...

9. amplifiedtorock

amplifiedtorock Member

el salvador,

so, you want to replace the RS with a more gainy pedal?

I use one low OD and one med OD Klon stacked into my JCM-800. This actually gets pretty high gain with a ton of crunch and detail. The chords stand WAY out. For more gain I like a BJFE Dyna Red Distortion, BJFE Emerald Green, Fulltone FD2 is surprisingly good too or a Fulltone Soulbender with or without the lower OD Klon's. My JCM-800 is a channel switcher, so all of this is in front of a fairly clean setting. The dirty channel is awesome as well with or without these pedals. All-in-all, more flavors than I can use!

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i use a dsl 201 and stack a rat on very low gain into a dreamtone Distortion and it is tonal heaven!! the rat is good alone and the dreamtone is fantastic alone but together it is a sonic onslaught of metal mayhem!!!! i nearly traded my rat in when i got the Dreamtone, but thought hmmmm let me stack em and the was such a wide array of tones to be had i had to keep em both!!!

11. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Keeley DS-1 ultra for hi gain on my JCM 800 2204.
    For Fuzzy OD Keeley rat.
    For clean boost Keeley Katana.

12. el34power

el34power Member

Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso (always on)
    I add a choice of. Keeley SD-1, BD-2, Barber LTD or Bad monkey. for the final push off the cliff for solos when needed.