Marshall JCM800 Cab Match...what do you suggest????

engine24355

Researching a good cabinet to match up to a Marshall JCM800. Obvious choice would be a 1960a, bv, etc., but interested in other options as I have heard good and bad things about these. So, what do you suggest to be a good cabinet match up (2x12 or 4x12) to a JCM800? Thanks for your help!!

PFCG

A Suhr 4x12 Straight Front. Its the ****!

Same build as Bogner/Diezel etc.

mesanatic

1960 loaded with G1265's. The quintessential 80's match.
or 1960BX for more classic/hard rock or blues.

bosstone

Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cabs are great sounding and two of them are easier to deal with than anyone's 4 X 12" cab. Been there...done that.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I'll just tell you my experiences with what I have. Marshall 2x12 1936 ...bright with tons of bottom end. Nails AC/DC with a humbucker, and when cranked is just bad ass. It's a very rumbly in your face tone. The only thing I don't like about it is it can be very bright...and beamy. Stand in front of it and it's too bright and sometimes shrill if not dialed back, but stand to the side of the cab...and it's heaven.

The Avatar with greenbacks is a much smoother...level EQ that is much more classic rock sounding. Still plenty of bottom end, but without all the extreems as the Marshall. I now use the Avatar almost all the time and will probably end up selling the Marshall.

engine24355

I'll just tell you my experiences with what I have. Marshall 2x12 1936 ...bright with tons of bottom end. Nails AC/DC with a humbucker, and when cranked is just bad ass. It's a very rumbly in your face tone. The only thing I don't like about it is it can be very bright...and beamy. Stand in front of it and it's too bright and sometimes shrill if not dialed back, but stand to the side of the cab...and it's heaven.

The Avatar with greenbacks is a much smoother...level EQ that is much more classic rock sounding. Still plenty of bottom end, but without all the extreems as the Marshall. I now use the Avatar almost all the time and will probably end up selling the Marshall.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to do some research on Avatar etc.

Voxy Foxy

honestly, the best cab I've ever paired with an 800 would have to be the orange straight 4x12...my friend's had v30s, and it was a fat cab...It's a good compliment to the 800's super ballsy mid-low frequency, as there's this high end that you can't dial out of the orange cabs...I dunno, I loved it.

Good luck finding a cab!

AlexF

65's are good, but the best speakers I've ever heard with an 800 are Fane AXA12 - quite literally made for that amp, 1 or 2x12, either will rock your world.
Al

rastaman

JCM800 2203X with OS Bogner 2x12 with vintage G12-65s :drool:drool:drool

DSC03063.jpg

engine24355

Really looking at Avatar for a cab. Looks like good quality at a reasonable price and seems to be good reviews out there. Heard so many stories about cheap plastic on the new Marshall cabs. Also, some bad things about quality etc. Do not want to spend bunch of money for the Marshall name and not get Marshall quality...you know.

4styx

Really looking at Avatar for a cab. Looks like good quality at a reasonable price and seems to be good reviews out there. Heard so many stories about cheap plastic on the new Marshall cabs. Also, some bad things about quality etc. Do not want to spend bunch of money for the Marshall name and not get Marshall quality...you know.

I used to have a couple of old Crate 4x12s from the 80s.I sold them and bought 1960x Marshall(1997) cab with greenbacks,and damned if it didn't sound EXACTLY like the Crates and twice the weight.The speakers were no name,by the way.

mmorse

I have 2 JCM 800s and they sound great with an Avatar 212 with Scumback H75s or a Marshall 1960 with a Scumback H75/H55 mix. Tried a bunch of different Celestions and settled on the Scummies. The only Cele I kept was a G12-65.

engine24355

Thanks for the help out there. Still trying to decide what cab to go with. Really interested in Bogner and Avatar at this point. We will see what happens. Keep the advice and suggestions coming please. Thanks!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom