Marshall JMP late 70's ... modern alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nb_fan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I've got a 79 Marshall JMP 100W Master Volume (2203) that I absolutely love. Problem is that it stays in most of the time cause of it's size (small car) and volume. I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb as the travelling amp with a bunch of pedals. I'm also worried about damaging the very good conditioned JMP if I move it too many times - so I dont end up getting to play with it much at all.

Are there any "newer" amps (something that's more easily replaceable or less vintage valuable) that are very close to the JMPs sound .. but also in a combo version? i know a stack can't sound like a combo, but I'm hoping there's something that will get me close?

I've tried quite a few combo amps, but there are just so many options...
    Any suggestions?

thanks, Nate

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

The Fargen Olde 800 is definitely in that camp. You can get it in a head or a lightweight 1x12 Combo. I had one and it had a great master volume (I had the head.) The only reason I got rid of it was because it was redundant with my Mighty Plex.

Fargens are well built and reasonably priced, especially on the used market. Plus if you order it new Ben Fargen will tailor it to your needs.

3. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Hmm.. it seems like Fargen has decided to start dealing direct... meaning I probably won't find them in a store where I can try them out easily..

.. any other suggestions for a modern alternative for the 70's JMP but in a combo form?

4. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

5. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Louis Electric KR12. Can do huge Marshall tones in a 1x12 combo format. Ridiculously good amp; only problem I see is that there are no sound clips anywhere to be found that really showcase what this amp can do. It freaking roars.

7. teanett

teanett Member

c'mon dude!
    it's a late 70's jmp not a plexi!
    don't worry about it. i doubt that these other amps are cheaper than yours or easier to replace.
    better play the real thing.

8. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

9. Squigglefunk

which is about 3x what I paid for my marshall combo... :jo

:AOK

10. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

What about just using it with a smaller speaker cab?

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

If price is your biggest concern but you still want big ol' roaring JMP tone, I think you might want to stick with your JMP; anything else that might replicate it will be more expensive. Hell, get a beat up JMP. They're cheaper than most boutique or non-boutique replacements.

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I would recommend getting a used 2204 and a 1x2 or 2x12 closed back cab.(as long as you dont CRANK it).you could also use an attenuator, but i would probably just use a pedal up front...you could get all this for ~ $1000..

13. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Mmm.. yeah, looking at the price of the newer stuff, it's the same or cheaper to get another JMP, haha.
    I guess you all may be right..

Curious, do the combo JMPs sound exactly like the full head version? obviously speaker setup is different, but the circuitry/durability should be exactly the same, yeah?

14. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I'm thinking about selling my combo. It's a 1977 super rare fawn tolex non- master. Breaks up quick. With a hot plate it gets real nasty. Lots of mojo, it's a players amp. Holla at me if you might be interested.
    [​IMG]

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

the circuit should be identical. but combos tend to get vibrate-y and tube rattle-y unless they are extremely well-built and specifically protected against this. i can't say whether the jcm 800 combos fall into this category. but i really doubt that it's light and easy to carry. but Squigglefunk can probably speak more knowledgeably about this.

fwiw, i find a head and std size 2x12 cab easier to haul around than a heavy combo. (JMP 2204 & Avatar 2x12)

16. Squigglefunk

my JCM800 4010 is real easy to carry and takes up very little space and it sounds very good. The chassis is smaller than a head JCM800 which helps make it more compact but I think the circuit is 100% identical.

17. davebc

davebc Member

:dude Amen! Or, Lou's Bluebreakers and LE45!:RoCkIn

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

$400 for a new handwired amp with a speaker? Musta been early '80s.

19. Jbrax

Jbrax Member

I make JMP replica Head cabs ,you could always put your amp in one of those
    and put your real one away for safe keeping.and beat up 1 of mine..sortof like insurance so to speak... just a thought

20. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

.. that is very interesting, haven't thought of that before... but I guess the head would still be as big.. but a coloured tolex head cab is very interesting.. i'll have to keep that in mind

On another note - I'm just trying to tease out all my options here - is there a JMP master volume type amp, but not at 100 W.. something closer to 20 W? I've looked at the handwired bluesbreaker and 1987x combos but, doesn't sound the same as the JMP... I'm thinking of getting a 1x12 combo or cab with my fender deluxe reverb for a stereo sound.

(and sorry for dragging this thread on longer, :horse)