Marshall JTM-30 Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuzzface71, May 9, 2008.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

[​IMG]

What should I expect with this amp? Do you guys prefer 2X10 or 1X12?
    :)

2. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

I own a 1x12 and like it. It has, for a Marshall, a nice clean channel.
    The dist. channel on the other hand isn't that good.
    I mostly use it with pedals.
    I don't know about the 2x12 version but I've hooked the amp on a marshall 1936 cab and it made it better, so I'll guess it does help.

3. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I'd be wary of this amp. I've replaced 2 output and one power transformers in this model. And I don't fix many amps, just helping out friends.

4. Numb

Numb Member

Used to have one, 1x12. Power transformer went south, luckily I still had warranty. They come pretty cheap, for the money they are ok. I didn't like the clean channel, it had a cold character to it. Gain channel was ok.

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Well, I mostly use a clean channel, and then I use an overdrive and fuzz pedals for dirt.

Yeah, I do have a feeling that this amp would sound cold? I want a warm sounding clean channel.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

The amp sounds great, is very versatile and can be had in the $300.00 to $400.00 range. It has two major problems; they were biased too hot from the factory, which makes the power tubes burn out too quickly and they have a cheapo output transformer. It is very easy to bias the amp correctly and install a bias trim pot for future bias adjustments. This improves the sound too. I ended up having a Mercury Magnetics output transformer made for a JTM 45 in mine. This made it sound better in every way and brought increased the output to 40 watts. If you are willing to do these two things, you will have a great sounding and much more reliable amp. If you don't, you will probably have problems. I had the single 12" version but I would like to hear a 2 X 12".

7. heavypick

heavypick Member

I just picked one up a few weeks ago for really cheap. I think the clean sound is great on it, for a Marshall. I have a few other Marshalls (TSL 601 and 4203) and I prefer the cleans on the JTM 30. The dirty channel sounds great loud but kind of cheap and buzzy at low volumes (like a Boss DS-1).

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

If you do a search for jtm60 when you find the thread started by Dr.Tweedbucket, you'll find a wealth of pro and con views and some great tips from the much missed John Phillips.

Edit: for ease of searching I kicked the thread I mentioned to the top. Note:said thread covers both JTM 30 and 60 models...

My experience with a JTM 30 which I've had for over a year now has been fine. Haven't pushed it too hard-home use so far- but I have cranked it. 5881 power tubes.

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

The JTM 60 is even more prone to problems that the JTM 30.

10. Weasel

Weasel Member

Hey...That's my amp!! :rotflmao Had for a few years, no problems at all. You gotta crank these puppies, then they sound stellar! .........Even better when you run it thru a 4x12.

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

Be sure to get the bias set correctly. They were set too hot from the factory. The tubes will last longer and the amp will sound better if you do. Not doing that is also harder on the OT.

12. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll pass.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

I wouldn't give up on it too soon. They are an extremely versatile and full featured amp that sounds good both clean and dirty, all in a fairly small and light weight package. If you could find one in good condition for about $400.00 or less, I thing it would be a good deal. I take all used amps directly to the tech to make sure the tubes are all working properly and set the bias any way and that is a good policy. At the same time they can do a quick check out that would usually shop any major problems. Mine with fresh Tung-Sol, reissue 5881s, biased correctly and a Mercury Magnetics output transformer sounded very good.