Marshall JTM - PCB or Handwired Restock

Marshall JTM - PCB or Handwired Restock

• Total voters

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I saw a restock (blem?) Marshall JTM45 2245THW Handwired for $2799.99. A brand new PCB Marshall JTM45 is $1999.99.

If you were shopping for a JTM45, which one would YOU get?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I saw a restock (blem?) Marshall JTM45 2245THW Handwired for $2799.99. A brand new PCB Marshall JTM45 is $1999.99.

Neither. You can get used PCB reissues for around $1150 and I've seen the used THW for just over $2000. My question is why buy new here? They're pretty simple amps so its not like you need the warranty. FWIW, I currently own 2 PCB JTM45's and a PCB Bluesbreaker. They're GREAT amps.

BMX

I think a better comparison would be to think about what you'd spend the extra $800 on and make it a real comparison. For example, would you rather have the handwired version or the PCB version AND a Les Paul Jr.?

(That said I'd get the Avatar version with the master volume...)

Silent Sound

PCB. Save the money. Unless they changed the circuit design or transformers on one of them so there's a real difference between the two, they should sound identical. PCB sounds the same. And Marshall has been making PCB amps for a very long time. They do a good job at it. So the whole "PCB isn't as reliable" thing doesn't really apply to Marshall's. Old, red knob Fenders and Bugeras, yes. But not to Marshalls, Soldanos, or Mesas. They know what they're doing when it comes to PCB.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
PCB. Save the money. Unless they changed the circuit design or transformers on one of them so there's a real difference between the two, they should sound identical. PCB sounds the same. And Marshall has been making PCB amps for a very long time. They do a good job at it. So the whole "PCB isn't as reliable" thing doesn't really apply to Marshall's. Old, red knob Fenders and Bugeras, yes. But not to Marshalls, Soldanos, or Mesas. They know what they're doing when it comes to PCB.
IIRC, the PCB 2245 is a bit different from the 2245THW and not as true to the original spec: 5881 vs KT66, preamp design, power filtering etc...

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, the PCB 2245 is a bit different from the 2245THW and not as true to the original spec: 5881 vs KT66, preamp design, power filtering etc...
I recall reading the same. I think it also comes from the factory biased too cold. I'd never buy the PCB new. For less than $2000 I can get a decent handwired clone with a loop and master volume and still have a few hundred left over.

Hefalump

Buy a Vintage Modern 2466 off of CL for under $800, gives you JTM 45 plus another great amp, and 1200 for beer and ?????

EDIT: OR you can buy a handwired clone built by Jet City that starts at $699 new. EDIT: Sorry they are now out of stock.

Last edited:

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I mean, you can get a 1972 JMP 1987 for that price and it would be HW and no PCB.
But it won't sound like a JTM45.

Not that it wouldn't be a great amp and do a halfway decent impression of a JTM45, but it won't nail a JTM45 if that's what you really want.

71strat

Germino by a mile.

Why not get an amp that's been created by a guy that has real anal retention for detail of the real deal JTM45 ? For less money ???

I myself would go to Valvestorm and source all of the best parts... NOS Mustard caps ect. Head cab/Transformers ect, for less than $1500. I myself like the Metro/Drake Spec amp vs Marshall/Germino which I believe are geared more towards the earlier Radiospares transformers.

Then there are those here on the forum that can put together amps as well as anyone, and should be able to put a 50 or less watt amp together for $350. Not incl Shipping ect. Or TUBES.

So $2000 incl Shipping/good packing.. MORE THAN FULL INSURANCE.....for the completed Head. That leaves at least a $700 for tubes ???

NOS GEC KT66s Matched... www.audiotubes.com

KT66 (6L6GC equivalent) Genalex made in Great Britain, cupped brown base, clear glass. MATCHED PAIR $399.00 per pair

NOS in original GEC boxes. Wonderful, sweet throated British tubes from the legendary Marconi-Osram Valve Co.'s Genalex production line, with the Hammersmith factory marks. These clear glass tubes are the later 1960s style, that are in great demand by audiophiles. These are extremely rare tubes worldwide, but especially in the USA. Carefully hand matched pair.
In stock

$2400 now.

Id start with 3 of these for Preamp tubes

12AX7 Raytheon blackplate organ tubes

New Old Stock in whiteboxes. These are the genuine 1950s vintage Raytheon shiny blackplates. For a short time we have more of these rare tubes made for organs, most have Baldwin labels. Nothing like these are likely to ever be made again, and these have the added advantage of being factory screened for use in organ audio circuits. These beauties rival the vintage European 12AX7s, and are the best bang for the buck going in a vintage USA made 'AX7! MATCHED PAIRS ARE JUST $140.00 PER PAIR.

$69.00

in stock

These tubes are also ALL FULLY WARRANTED.

So $2610

Now buy a NOS Mullard Fat Base GZ34/5AR4 Rectifier.

KCA NOS/ Blue Strat $120

$2730 Total

Although George made my amp... You can get 90%-100% of the same parts/KIT from Valvestorm/Complete kit for $1500 or less. Maybe $1350. I haven't priced it in a while. I believe the JTM45/100 is closer to $1500.

So my estimate for a JTM45 kit, may be a little high.

If you just use the standard parts... SOZO/CTS pots ect.. The cost is even a LESS. NOS Mustard Caps are less than $100 extra $$$$.

I would use the PEC POTS. Id get every upgrade possible, and still come out around the same price as Marshall/Germino.

But if I was going to buy a preassembled amp, there would be no question/YMMV... But the Germino would be first on my list for ANY 60s Plexi Circuit, and I would have no need to look anywhere else.

If you don't like the sound of Germino amps, then the real deal circuit isn't what you like. Just lie when someone finally gets to use real PAFs and find them brighter than they thought, and end up not liking them.

Last edited:

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Very good advice. I think I'll keep looking. :D
Good advice from 71strat above, but if you want to stay local, right here in NJ is Tyler Amps. http://tyleramps.com He makes a JT46 which is a JTM45 with master volume, internally jumped channels, and option for a bypassable tube buffered loop and whatever power tubes you want. Mine has the loop and KT66's. It's a great budget level JTM45 clone with mods. Don't get me wrong, a Germino or Metro would probably sound more accurate with the custom transformers and caps, etc... but the Tyler probably sounds as good as the Marshall's and if I recall correctly it only cost me under $1600 brand new. You can find used ones for under $1000.

Here's a good read:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/45_Degrees_of_Tone_The_JTM45_Roundup

Here's my Tyler:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...mp-works-jt46-and-suhr-reactive-load.1604762/

In all fairness, I do sometimes get the itch to trade up to a Metro or Germino, but at $1000 more I've not yet convinced myself it would be worth it. Although I suspect, after the sticker shock wears off, that it would.

71strat

With the Valvesstorm kit, that gives enough money left over for NOS tubes. And IMHO NOTHING is the same as an NOS GEC/MO KT66. I also like the NOS GZ34

Trending Topics