Marshall JTM30, Slash SL5, DSL5?

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
Wondering about 1 of these 1x12 combo amps for practicing at home. I've never actually had a Marshall amp before, but have been considering it lately as I've gotten more into southern/bluesy type rock with aggressive, lower to medium gain tones. I like cutting, in your face mids while still having that warm, thick/fat tube growl. I've had 5150's/5150II's, a Recto, Framus Cobra, and many of the different Fryette amps, etc., but never a Marshall.

Opinions or experiences? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Darth Federer

I think for straight home playing the sl5 hands down. I bought a few amps this year and the sl5 was one of my favorites. I'm guessing the volume on the sl5 will be much more manageable at home volume levels. I would check the Marshall forum for more info on the JTM30. I seem to remember some threads about overheating issues etc.

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
I vaguely remember years ago getting to play a little bit on a guys little Marshall 1x12 tube combo. I am thinking it was a JTM30. I just remember thinking, wow, this little amp sounds pretty sweet! I remember it having a nice warm growl, and many years later that's what I'm trying to now find for tone. I could be mistaken on which model it was though. Then I recently stumbled on the SL5 amp, and being a huge Slash fan (his playing and tone), that got my attention. But I know there are other sweet Marshall 1x12 combos also, so...

This will probably be my intro to Marshalls. If I end up really liking the combo I get, I may eventually then look into larger combos or a head (though it will probably be difficult to find something I like better than my Sig X!).

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
I had an SL5 for a few months but fought it the whole time, looking for just the sorts of tones you described. I never bonded with it and sold it to another TGPer, who's apparently been pretty happy with it. Sounded great on paper, but not to my ears. YMMV, etc.

FWIW, I got an Ampeg GTV15-112 when MF blew out their remaining stock in November and have been very, very happy with it; not a Marshall, but exactly the low to medium gain tones I wanted, w/spring reverb, fx loop, plywood cab (SL5's is MDF), JJ tubes, and it was hundreds cheaper, too.

Serenity

Out of the ones you've suggested i'd go with the SL5, but it's really spendy. For that sort of cash you could pick up a second hand Vintage Modern and just get an attenuator for home practice.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Out of the ones you've suggested i'd go with the SL5, but it's really spendy. For that sort of cash you could pick up a second hand Vintage Modern and just get an attenuator for home practice.
Isn't the SL5 closed-back, and the VM semi-open back? I'd think they would have completely different sounds then...

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
I don't mind spending some money, but if I'm going to spend a serious chunk of money, I would want something with an fx loop that I could use for gigging. I think it would be great if I could find a little tube combo amp that sounded awesome that I could mic up for gigs, rather than lugging my big 4x12 cab and head around.

Serenity

If you go for the Vintage Modern get the head if you want closed backs. I'm just saying for that sort of cash i'd go for the bigger Marshall, and buying second hand you're unlikely to lose cash on resale if you decide you don't like it.

Trending Topics