Marshall JTM45/100 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mooncusser, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey guys,

I have a great question for all of you.
    Tell me, in your opinion:
    Who makes the best Marshall JTM45/100 clone out there?
    I am only familiar with the Metroamp model.
    I am very much looking forward to your feedback here.

Please, give me your opinions as well.
    I appreciate your time,;)
    Mass

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

My opinion Wallace amps. http://wallaceamps.com/ I heard the dual out put transformer version he makes. I think they are made to order and he really sweats the details. He is the expert on those old transformers and that is a huge part of the magic.

3. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I thought the only difference between the 45/100 and the 59slp was the type of power tube used?

4. Roe

Roe Member

the early dual RS deluxe OT type: wallance and the marshall 40th anniv stack
    later singel OT high B+ model: germino (550v) or metroamp (520v) or marshall 100JH (with hendrix lead mod - more in you face).

also louis amps makes a 45/100

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Is that true?

Thanks,
    Mass

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks guys...
    If anyone else has any suggestions...I'd love to hear from you.
    The JTM45/100 is considered by many to be the grail of Plexi's...your thoughts there as well?
    Peace,
    Mass

7. doctord02

doctord02 Member

No the JTM 45/100 is NOT the same as a SLP. Slightly different circuit, different voltages, different output transformers, different animal.

Check out Doyle's History of Marshall book.

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Germino's Classic 45 was actually better than the original JTM45's that I've played. Beautiful tone, great workmanship, and a great builder. www.germinoamps.com

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Very, very interesting guys!
    Thanks for the help.
    hey, If you had to sum up what makes the JTM45/100 unique by description, how would you do so?
    Again, I thank you for your help,
    Mass

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Louis Electric makes an excellent JTM45, and he also makes a mean Plexi. I'm pretty sure he can cook up a JTM45/100 if you want.

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Could one of you desribe the main differences between the 1959 SLP and the JTM45/100 for me?

Thanks..I appreciate the help,
    Mass

12. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Big difference is that the JTM45/100 (the first 100 watt Marshalls) uses 2 JTM-45 output transformers. Basically, Marshall shoehorned two JTM-45 heads together to make this amp, from my understanding.

13. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

The thing to keep in mind is that the JTM45 was the very first amp Marshall made, and it was heavily based on the Fender Bassman. In fact, the only real differences between the two are the type of transformer used and chasis -- the 45 had an aluminum chasis intially. Both of these can have a dramatic effect on the overall tone, which is why in spite of being almost identical in design, these two amps sound different. However, compared to the '69 59SLP, there are major differences. Tubes for one, transformers, metal chasis... the 59 is where Marshall really hit the mark and made some completely different then anything either they or anyone else had made before. So depending on what kind of music you're playing, the 45 is better suited for country or blues... the 59 (or 87x for that matter) blues, rock, metal -- you name it -- but not country. I would be skeptical of anyone making a 45 clone. What are they basing their design on? Marshall made and sold many different versions (though under the same name) of the 45 as they kept redesigning and experimenting with different components on the way to arriving at the 59SLP. I wouldn't buy one until you played it, heard it, and decided it was really the tone for you. Don't buy one just for the name or the fact that it's boutique.

14. CarlH

CarlH Member

That is only true of the very early ones. Marshall cloned a later one,which only had one OT and the correct copy of that OT.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

The JTM45/100 was built in response to Pete Towsand's need for "more". Initially, this amp sat atop a 8x12" cabinet, but the Who's rodies found this unworkable. Marshall thus came up with the idea of the 4x12" cabinet and thus the Marshall Stack was born. That's the history...

For repro of the early Marshall, you can do no better than Greg Germino. His Monterey Classic is probably the closest to the JTM45/100. His Classic 45 is based on the venerable JTM45/Bluesbreaker.

Check his website at www.germinoamps.com

-KD

16. CarlH

CarlH Member

Germino makes great amps from what I can see of his website.

The Germino JTM45/bluesbreaker uses the Radiospares OT copy, which was only used on the very early JTM45 amps (1963-1965). Most of the JTM45s did not use this OT (1966 onward). I don't know how much of an actual difference this makes in tone, but the Radiospares OT was a lot different than the later Drake JTM45 OT. The Radiospares OT was a hi-fi OT that was not really designed for guitar amps.

I am not suggesting that his version of the JTM45 is not great; I am only pointing out that it is a copy of the very early JTM45 because of the OT.

I am doing some research on this issue myself because I am building a bluesbreaker clone.

17. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If you are reffering to the new Marshall Handwired 45/100s Marshall did two different versions of it. 100 with two output transformers and 400 hundred with one output transformer the Hendrix edition.

18. CarlH

CarlH Member

You are correct. I was referring to someone who suggested that the ones with one transformer were some kind of a shortcut by combining two OTs into one. There were two types: one with two OTs and one with one OT, as you pointed out.

19. Roe

Roe Member

the RS deluxe OT gives a less mushy tone than the later tranny. some say its more hifi

20. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I just got a Monterey Classic. It's dreamy.