Marshall JTM45 and TSL100 which one you choice? Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fu78, May 7, 2008.

1. Fu78

Fu78 Member

Marshall JTM45 and TSL100 which one you choice? Why?

2. JimH

JimH Member

JTM45 - They're very different. Honestly I can't see this being a difficult choice for anyone. It'll be very obvious - I'm not saying the JTM is just definitively better but I'm saying you'll like one over the other. JTM suits me much more.

If you want reasons - For me tone, caused by totally different design, different output and preamps, tube rectifier etc etc. Marshall written on the front is about all they have in common. The TSL just doesn't do anything for me, IMHO - the clean is bland and the distortion is buzzy - the JTM is a classic NMV amp - Think early clapton/ACDC whatever.

BUT - it's a matter of taste, I do expect people to prefer the TSL - I DO NOT expect anyone to say they're similar.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

What music?

I prefer the JTM45 for its purity of tone for the sort of music I play. It's like a Tweed Bassman with a very English twist.

Best, Pete.

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'd go with a JTM 45 too. I already have an 800 for higher gain, (and a boost if needed). But as already stated, it depends what your playing.

5. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I like things simple and pure when it comes to amps, so JTM for me!

6. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Depends on how you're going to use it I suppose. I'd pick a DSL over the TSL, personally. But anyhoo....on to my $0.02 YMMV IMO etc....

The JTM45 is a pedal lovin' machine. Back when I had mine, I used a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster for lead boosts, so I didn't need channel switching. It got loud when I kicked that pedal on. They are a cleaner running amp too, so my dirt was obtained from pedals. I actually prefer gigging a JTM over JCM800s & Superleads/1987s due to the cleaner headroom. It just worked better for me.

I have no experience with the TSL, but currently gig a DSL. I like the channel switching. I run it semi clean and get dirt from pedals, then use the red channel as my volume boosted lead channel. I really like the two master volumes. While a DSL is not considered by some to be a great amp, I find it to be perfect for my applications right now. I keep coming back to it for gigs.

Used DSLs are all over the place and can be had reasonably cheap. So I'd pick a DSL for the versatility if I had the choice. (but if I could swing it, I'd grab the JTM too)

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

8. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

9. stump

stump Member

I own a TSL and am very, very happy with it. It's not at all like the JTM45, but can get similar tones from the clean channel. I needed the flexibility of three channels when I bought it. I think the TSL gets a bad rap due to quality problems with the early batch of footswitches and the "buzzy-fizzy" sounds that come from incorrect bias, not so great preamp tubes, speaker selection and not taking time to dial it in. I guess it depends on what you need or want. The JTM and TSL is a damned fine amps though. Best of luck.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I owned a TSL for a very long time and enjoyed it for what it was. I remember when I blew a preamp tube, I put in some NOS mullards and thought the tone was much improved. It has much of the classic Marshall sound and is very versatile.

11. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

As already mentioned, totally different amps that cover different grounds.
    So,
    It comes down to tonal needs.

Personally, the JTM is more in the camp of what I like being NMV and all.
    Im actually, not a fan of the TSL. The JVM is much better.

12. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

JTM 45. Great single channel.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

JTM45s have the best cleans of any Marshall I have heard and break up beautifully when pushed.